Talk

Advanced search

SALLYSTRAWBERRYS LAPTOP HAS DIED HELP! all I'm getting in the blue screen of death! Where can I get a reasonably/cheap priced laptop?

(32 Posts)
sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 17:47:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onager Sun 05-Oct-08 19:09:34

To recover data you can take the drive out and put it in another computer alongside the one that's there. This will allow you to copy things across.

But it may not be ruined if it does an error screen. What does it say?

Try booting up while pressing F8 (for safe mode) If that works there may be things you can do.

Try putting a Windows CD in if you have one and boot up. It may autorun it and give you options to repair windows.

If you don't have a Windows CD then PC world will charge you for a new drive (even if not broken) and a new copy of windows and their expert hmm help in setting it up which will be quite a lot I expect.

Yes if it comes to it Open Office is fine though if you have the CDs for that you can put it on a new one.

onager Sun 05-Oct-08 19:13:38

That last bit was meant to say that if you have the CDs for MS Office (full copy) you can install it on the new one.

LittleMyDancingForJoy Sun 05-Oct-08 19:15:53

On the whole I would recommend asking anyone except PCWorld to deal with it....never had any good service from them and they charge the earth.

You're much better off finding a little local IT consultancy to do it for you, look in the Yellow Pages and there's bound to be some.

Niecie Sun 05-Oct-08 19:27:19

If you have to get a new laptop, my PC World laptop I got a couple of months ago came with Microsoft Works which has a spreadsheet and a word processor facility on it.

I actually like Works better than the new Word and Excel, which I had a free trial of, because it looks like Word and Excel used to look but then I am a Luddite, obviously.smile

Data recovery is very expensive though - as much as a new laptop, I was quoted - I didn't bother as I only lost a holidays worth of photos.

Are you sure it is terminally dead or is there a glimmer of hope? I agree, go to a local PC shop and get it looked at rather than PC World though. I think though, that if I were you, I would have preferred the Black Screen of Doom to the Blue Screen of Death. In my experience, something can be done about the Black Screen of Dome.

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 20:46:21

LittleMyDancingWithTheDevil Sun 05-Oct-08 21:07:14

can you tell us exactly what it says? I can ask DP's advice for you if you like, he's currently got a Pc in bits on our kitchen table so is in work mode!

differentWitch Sun 05-Oct-08 21:21:41

We had the Black Screen of Doom- all we needed to do was screw the battery pack in properly.

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:10:16

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:11:06

DraculaNeedsArteries Sun 05-Oct-08 22:20:20

Agree with others.

Do not go to PC worls.

You need a nice little man that tinkers with computers in his spare time. Unfortunately you need to "know" someone to get teh best and cheapest service. Your data should be recoverable. It is usually the operating system/processor that dies not the hard drive I& think...which means that your hard drive with your data on is probably still safe. You just need to know (someone who knows) how to get at it.

Open office is fine. MS Office is actually £120 I think. I would say try open office for free. If you don't like it you have lost nothing and can by MS Office. If you do like it you have saved £120.

WRT where to get a cheap laptop...I think curry's are advertising one for £300 reduced from £400 ATM..don't know how good value is fro spec though.

onager Sun 05-Oct-08 22:25:02

Try inserting the Windows CD (if you have one) which should boot up and offer 'Recovery Console' (press R) You should get the chance to do the CHKDSK/F from there.

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:28:10

MarsLady Sun 05-Oct-08 22:30:41

strawberry... you can get Windows on a student license. Don't ask me how it works. All I know is that you can get one per year per household. You have children in school therefore you are entitled. Ask the school (though I bet some clever bod knows right here on MN). smile

Sorry about your 'puter! I've just started my next Creative Writing course. Shouldn't you be doing a new one by now? wink

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:34:32

MarsLady Sun 05-Oct-08 22:35:38

Does that mean I'll see you? You'll be bringing me a new necklace? You want to fling with me? grin

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:37:48

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:39:00

onceinalifetime Sun 05-Oct-08 22:42:14

Sorry haven't read all posts but Dell (who I actually hate with a vengeance but can't argue with their prices) are offering laptops for £299 if you find you need to buy a new one.

onceinalifetime Sun 05-Oct-08 22:42:15

Sorry haven't read all posts but Dell (who I actually hate with a vengeance but can't argue with their prices) are offering laptops for £299 if you find you need to buy a new one.

onceinalifetime Sun 05-Oct-08 22:43:51

twice even

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:44:18

MarsLady Sun 05-Oct-08 22:47:36

No idea! Why not let them loose in the museums in S.Kensington? The Aquarium is nice. Um... um... um...

sallystrawberry Sun 05-Oct-08 22:51:18

retiredgoth Sun 05-Oct-08 22:59:18

I have bought 2 laptops on eBay in recent weeks (don't ask) and both were splendid.

You can get a G3 iBook for less than £150, and that will do everything most people require.......

You can buy office student edition easily on the interweb. I got 2 copies of ms office for mac 2008 from the microsoft education page for £40......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now