Talk

Advanced search

EEK. Bloody Sidebar driving me must

(7 Posts)
georgiemum Tue 30-Sep-08 13:57:21

Any techies out there?

I was fiddling adjusting the security features on my Dell lapdog and the news ticker on my sidebar has gone all weird. It just says 'Loading...' and never does. Have I completely buggered it up?

georgiemum Tue 30-Sep-08 14:45:12

Bump

Heeeeeelllllppppp!

onager Wed 01-Oct-08 13:21:19

Don't know if you solved this but you must have made the security more strict so that it won't allow the news ticker to connect.

If you go back to the security settings you can return them to how they were or look to see if you can add the name of the news ticker program and give that permission to always connect.
If you're not sure then post which security you are using.

georgiemum Wed 01-Oct-08 14:03:21

Bollocks. I deleted it from the options as it was driving me crazy.

It's nottons or something like that. I think it was something in the Tools/Internet Options bit things doodah whotzit.

I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT I DID!!!!!!!!

onager Wed 01-Oct-08 14:17:21

That will be Norton. They do a suite of security software. Quite powerful, but most owners of Norton spend their time trying to coax it into letting them do what they wanted to do.

Tools/Internet Options sounds like the Windows one though and that has a privacy tab. On there it has a slider bar for cookies and a thing you tick to stop popups. Maybe you moved the bar or ticked the box and it counts your news thing as a popup.

georgiemum Wed 01-Oct-08 14:31:30

HATE NORTON. It hates my windows system and it keeps telling me that I have no secutiry.

I need to do school run NOW so will try this out on my retun... will let you know how I get on, or if I see if a Dell can fly...

onager Wed 01-Oct-08 14:40:59

Good luck with that. (The trick is to throw it REALLY hard)

The bit that keeps telling you that you have no security might be something else. Either way it's worth posting because I know it annoys other people.

In Control Panel double click Security Center
On the left click "change the way security center alerts me"
And untick the firewall and/or antivirus box.

Of course it's supposed to nag you so it's a good thing, but if you know you have protection then this shuts it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now