Talk

Advanced search

Big Problem Deleting Files From a Flash Drive

(4 Posts)
serenity Fri 26-Sep-08 15:13:26

OK, we have Windows XP, the flash drives are fine. We can move files onto them we just can't delete. I'm having to get them wiped on someone else's PC which is just really annoying. When you delete it does something - you can't access the file (they're .avi files/videos) Media Player says

'Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.'

If you try and delete again it says

Can't delete *file name* Access is denied and says to check if the disc is full or write protected. It's neither.

I've tried moving the file out of the drive onto the desktop and then deleting it, but it only copies and leaves the original on the drive still.

It's obviously some setting on our PC, but I can't figure out what needs changing....

HELP!!

onager Fri 26-Sep-08 15:51:21

It sounds as though it really is deleting them the first time, but not removing them from it's index which is very odd. Perhaps it has been corrupted and needs reformating, but then why would it work ok in another PC? is the other also XP. If not that might be a clue.

I don't have a solution, but you might try starting the computer in safe mode. If it deletes them ok then it has to be something that's normally running that's preventing it.

Do you have music software that automatically runs and adds music files to a playlist for example?

Hopefully someone will be along who has had this problem.

PortAndLemon Fri 26-Sep-08 16:01:41

How are you deleting them the first time? From Windows Explorer? Right-clicking and selecting Delete? Selecting and then hitting delete? Or some other way?

serenity Fri 26-Sep-08 16:20:34

Yep, that sounds right (the not removing from index thing) I'm not sure what the other PC runs on tbh - I'll have to check. As far as I know the only background programmes running are security ones (AVG and Zone Alarm) but I know that Windows updates can sometimes react weirdly with those so I'll get DH to check them.

I deleted by right clicking.

According to something I was reading it could be that XP is automatically writeprotecting flash drives, but the only way to check and sort it out is to access the Registry Drive. Dh sent me lots of shouting texts generally saying NO! DON'T TOUCH IT!!! when I text him that suggestion, so I'm tempted to try grin just because it panicked him so much and because he should know that I'm not daft enough to mess with something that could completely kill the PC. That's his job!

I'm working tonight so I'll get him to check that, and try you're suggestions too. Thanks, it's given us a direction at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now