Talk

Advanced search

If you have a Netbook - Eee or Asus maybe - come and talk to me about it

(8 Posts)
MarlaSinger Thu 25-Sep-08 17:33:38

Am about to order one, but having a wobble

Does anyone use it to try and keep more organised? How do you find it? What do you love or hate about it?

MrVibrating Thu 25-Sep-08 21:45:03

Eee 701 here.

Love: It's small. Quick to boot up and shut down (linux version).

Hate: Small keyboard, small screen, low battery life

It has not replaced either my PC, because you just can't do serious work on it, or my BlackBerry, which runs my life. If you want to get organised, you can't beat a CrackBerry.

It does feel good whipping it out in Starbucks though wink

micku5 Thu 25-Sep-08 21:55:52

I have the Asus Eee pc and love it. (it's not my main computer as I also have a mac and a work pc)

Handy when I am in the garden and the girls are playing so that I can still go online. Also small enough to put in a handbag and take with you on your travels.....

SqueakyPop Thu 25-Sep-08 22:00:07

I bought DS an Asus for his birthday (after a Mumsnet thread). He is very happy with it, but I think we should have paid a bit extra to get a proper laptop.

Small is obviously its key benefit, but is also its main drawback. The keyboard is awkward for a touch typist, not so bad for a two-fingers person. There is basically no memory beyond what is needed for the applications - so a decent memory stick is vital.

The unit is very well equipped though, with a good range of hardware and software. The main think missing is more memory.

bran Thu 25-Sep-08 22:15:22

If you want to wait a bit before buying lots of other companies are about to bring out their own version of the Eee so you would have a bit more choice. Dell already have one

MarlaSinger Fri 26-Sep-08 08:21:54

Ooh, replies, replies!

I was going to get the Acer Aspire - the only downside I can find is no bluetooth.

I can't afford a contract phone to go with a BlackBerry, at least this is a one-off.

Would keep my main PC as I prefer Mac to Windows. But, would probably get Windows on the netbook so I could use it for work - checking email at least.

Had no clue about the Dell one, thanks bran, do you have one or have looked at one?

bran Fri 26-Sep-08 16:44:10

No I don't have one, but when all the companies have their own version out I will consider buying one. It would make life so much easier if we're on holiday or out doing something, then I can just find a cafe with wi-fi and log on for the price of a coffee.

I really regretted not having something like this last winter when we were in Australia, the cottage we were staying in had free wi-fi but we didn't have any way to connect and the nearest internet cafe was $10 an hour, which is a lot of money considering dh is a workaholic and had to log on every day for at least 30 mins. I have a laptop which I used for working from home, but it's huge as I needed the biggest screen possible, so we didn't even consider bringing it to Oz with us.

rachw1 Sat 27-Sep-08 18:34:00

I have the 901 which is worth the upgrade imo. Better keyboard, screen and touchpad. I run Linux on it - currently the standard Linux install but will probably put ubuntu on it when i get chance.

It's not a replacement for a desktop or laptop (unless all you really do is check mail and use the web) but is great when out and about or for taking notes on at meetings etc. as it is small and unobtrusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now