Talk

Advanced search

Can't get new lap top to connect to internet..we need ISP password...any ideas?

(23 Posts)
maidamess Thu 18-Sep-08 18:37:03

I don't know where to look on our PC to find it.

Some bright spark out there must know smile

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 18:43:11

Is the laptop wireless?
Do you mean the router password?
Sometimes on the back of the router on a little sticker, or with the bumpf that came with it.

fryalot Thu 18-Sep-08 18:44:28

Does your laptop have a wireless button? Our old one did, and it took me ages to figure out that I had to switch the wireless "on" before it would work.

It was an actual physical button at the top of the keyboardy bit.

maidamess Thu 18-Sep-08 18:47:34

It is connected to the phone line at the moment, so not wireless. I am a complete technophobe.

Dd is clicking on broadband internet connection, def. not wireless.

The only thing I can think of doing is ringing tiscali to see if they can give me the password.

Its asking us for User name and ISP password.

hmm

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 18:48:25

Me too Squonk blush

SaintGeorge Thu 18-Sep-08 18:51:20

It is the original user info supplied by your ISP that it is asking for.

Not sure they will give you that info over the phone unless you can answer a lot of security questions.

fryalot Thu 18-Sep-08 18:51:25

maidamess - afaik, there are two ways of connecting to the internet, one is wireless and it's just "there" and the other is plugged in, when you need passwords and isp addresses and all sorts of technical things.

Try unplugging it and hitting the wireless button and just seeing if it works.

saggars - twas made worse in my case because I kept texting dp at work saying "your stupid f*ing laptop still won't connect to the effing internet" and he would reply saying "have you switched it on" and I would reply again saying "of course I've switched it [the computer] on, I'm not an imbecile!!!" for him to come home, find the wireless not switched on...

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 18:52:16

Is it connected to the router though? And the router to the phone line?

fryalot Thu 18-Sep-08 18:53:25

and the phone line to outside...

SaintGeorge Thu 18-Sep-08 18:53:42

Can you access your Tiscali account from this page?

I know if I go to my ISP home page, I can log on because the info is saved by windows.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 18:55:11

Lol Squonk - I gave the BT 'helpline' in some farflung land a right earful. I think I even put the phone down on her at one point. Ds1 helped me out.

maidamess Thu 18-Sep-08 18:55:13

Whats a router? blush told you I was a technophobe

( I can hear you sighing loudly from here, I'm sorry to be so lame!)

fryalot Thu 18-Sep-08 18:56:52

the router is the thing you switch on to connect to the internet.

I still call it a modem, but it's not actually a modem at all.

It has little flashy lights on, and plug type things coming out of the back.

It's where your phone line should be plugged in.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 18:57:46

Follow the phone line/ethernet cable from the back of your PC. What is it plugged into?

maidamess Thu 18-Sep-08 19:03:45

yEAH WE HAVE A MODEm (sorry) on the Pc but she's in the living room directly connected to a phone line

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 19:14:50

You have to connect the laptop to the modem too.

That's why it's better for the laptop to be wireless.

Plug the laptop into the modem and see what happens. It will probably still ask for a password though. You must have set up the BB on the PC with a user/name password.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 19:16:33

Does this help

Did your modem come with a software CD?

maidamess Thu 18-Sep-08 19:43:16

You are kind with a stupid old bag like me.

I have just been on the phone to Bombay and we havent got a router. Why havent we got one? Should we have got one when we bought the laptop?

I want to cry I hate computers so much.

fryalot Thu 18-Sep-08 20:01:04

um, I suspect you should have a router, yes.

If I were you, I'd have a toddle down to PC World or somewhere that they have people who know about these things (ToysRUs always have a good computer section as well, maybe them...) take the laptop with you and ask them what you need to get on line with it.

Better yet, take it to where you got it from and kick up a fuss about them selling you something without checking that you would be able to use it properly...

onager Thu 18-Sep-08 20:09:54

Are you sure the modem isn't a router? Does it have a name/model?
A router is basically a modem, but with extra sockets so all of your PCs/laptops can connect to it. Otherwise you could only plug in one PC at a time.

At one time everyone got a modem since they only owned the one computer.

onager Thu 18-Sep-08 20:14:10

If you post the name/model of the modem and what broadband package you paid for with tiscali someone will be able to advise you on the best thing to buy. Not all routers are the same.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 18-Sep-08 20:38:16

You should be able to access BB through the same modem/router as your PC (unless it's ancient - the modem, not the PC). Depending on how old it is you may need to upgrade to go wireless but you can just call Tiscali and ask them to send you a wireless router. Depends on your package but it will probably cost you nothing.

maidamess Thu 18-Sep-08 20:41:05

Thanks for all your replies x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now