Talk

Advanced search

Following on from my "computer keep restarting/switching off thread" - any idea how much this is going to cost me???

(7 Posts)
FAQ Thu 18-Sep-08 12:13:23

ShelleyLou's dad came to look at it for me and took it away (he fixes computers for a living so knows his stuff).

I've just spoken to his wife and apparently the motherboard has died........got to call him back later to talk to him as he's the one that checked it all out.

This is going to cost me isn't it? How much??

ranting Thu 18-Sep-08 12:23:55

Well, it depends on the make and model here you can see how much they differ in price.

If you're just buying the motherboard btw, that company are very good.

EvelynsDad Thu 18-Sep-08 12:26:04

How long si a piece of string?

Assuming an older PC, (2 years+) I would guess 50 quid for an equivalent motherboard plus labour costs. That is just a guess.

If you can't get an equivalent motherboard then you're looking at upgrading other bits and it might not be worth it, but that shouldn't happen unless it's a really old box.

FAQ Thu 18-Sep-08 12:28:17

he's going to get it from me - and being ShelleyLou's dad I trust him to get me a good deal and not rip me off grin

I can't get it to show me any prices on there blush (could be this ancient computer I'm using atm). It's a Fujitsu Siemens (if that helps at all?)

FAQ Thu 18-Sep-08 12:29:33

the computer itself is about 2yrs old - but had a LOT of upgrades put on within the last 12 months (obviously whoever did it didn't think to make sure the motherboard could cope - and as the previous owner - who gave me the computer - rarely used it it's only been discovered as I use it so heavily and have fried it blush)

onager Thu 18-Sep-08 20:23:39

On the plus side it will be faster afterwards.
Since he will almost certainly have to reinstall windows you might want to discuss copying off essential files first. Your friend will know how to do this.

FAQ Thu 18-Sep-08 20:29:11

spoken to him - that processor and the motherboard are fried.

Hard drive still working (although there's nothing on it!! - thankfully had very little on there yet, and what was on there isn't majorly important).

Gave me 3 options

1. Bin in
2. Buy new motherboard and processor - would still be left with the issue of the power unit not really being good enough to cope - and therefore potential frying happening again.

3. Build a new one using most of the stuff that's in there that is working, and replacing any bits that need replacing.

Obviously 3 is the more expensive option, but given that the person/company that "upgraded" it for the previous owner messed up by not making sure the power unit could cope with all the upgrades I can't help but what else they messed up. So am going for the 3rd option, but at the end of next month (I have my ancient, built by exH 7yrs ago base unit which Im currently using to keep me going).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now