Talk

Advanced search

dh overwritten my database with an old version - can I get my version back (VISTA)????

(13 Posts)
smoggie Wed 17-Sep-08 16:28:47

BAsically that's it.
Dh has saved the (old) version of my database from the laptop onto our public network folder on the PC so all the work I did all of last week is now gone and overwritten with the old version.
I've tried right clicking on the folder in explorer and my computer as there's supposed to be a "previous versions" tab, but we don't have that.
I've also tried doing a search in explorer as someone at school told me you should see previous versions there but they're not showing on my machine.
System restore will only restore system files and not individual files.
I could scream - this is the second time he's done this.
PLEASE is there a way of getting it back. IT will only need to go back a day or two.
TIA

StealthPolarBear Wed 17-Sep-08 16:31:06

is it an access database?

smoggie Wed 17-Sep-08 16:31:37

Excel spreadsheet - sorry, I call it my database but it's a spreadsheet.

StealthPolarBear Wed 17-Sep-08 16:32:34

You could try something like www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspxthis not sure if it works on files but worth a go

smoggie Wed 17-Sep-08 16:39:08

THw vista advice says there should be a "restore previous versions" option when you right click in explorer, but I think they also say it only applies to vista business, Vista Business, Windows Vista Enterprise, and Windows Vista Ultimate
I've looked again and I def don't have this option.
Any other ideas anyone please??????

smoggie Wed 17-Sep-08 17:07:13

bumpity bump

smoggie Wed 17-Sep-08 18:42:40

bump

smoggie Wed 17-Sep-08 18:46:22

SPB - sorry should have said I tried taht link thank you - that's where I got the above info re: restore versions only being in business, enterprise and ultimate versions of vista...but thanks anyway.

littlelapin Wed 17-Sep-08 18:55:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StealthPolarBear Wed 17-Sep-08 19:03:46

No problem, hope you manage to sort something out with lapin's advice.

smoggie Wed 17-Sep-08 20:12:49

HALEbloominLUIA!!!!
I suddenly remembered that I'd emailed the spreadsheet 2 days ago to someone, so I've found it in my sent items folder and it's the right version.
Oh phew I could cry!

littlelapin - VERY sound advice - am now in the process of re-naming and setting up scheduled back-ups.

Thanks as always for fantastic advice.
Off for a celebratory .....cup of coffee and decongestant tablet....sinusitis has not helped my situation today sad

StealthPolarBear Wed 17-Sep-08 20:25:06

I love a happy ending!
Hope you're feeling better soon

littlelapin Wed 17-Sep-08 20:26:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now