Yes.

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:05:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:07:42

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:08:52

YetMoreTech (MNHQ) Thu 11-Sep-08 00:09:12

If you have the firewall turned on then no. They could "see" stuff that you were browsing (unless you were using HTTPS to access a website) and, for example, your email (again, unless using a secure server). It's not simple though - your averagely nosey hotel employee couldn't do it.

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:10:32

MrVibrating Thu 11-Sep-08 00:11:17

Yes this would be fairly easy to do. Secure sites should be OK though (an eavesdropper could see what sites you are visiting, but not the secure communications themselves).

So only use https and other communications over SSL, like Skype, or take a hard (or electronic) copy of what you need.

Of course this could be used to your advantage in some kind of James Bond-esque double-bluff. Or perhaps not.

Good luck to your son!

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:11:47

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:12:51

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:13:13

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:14:00

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 00:15:11

MrVibrating Thu 11-Sep-08 00:38:41

So plan strategy over Skype and you will be OK.

I would upgrade to AVG Anti-virus because neither AVG free nor Windows Firewall will spot malicious software being downloaded (although the firewall should prevent it doing much damage other than slowing your PC to a crawl).

And unless you are getting and sending email over SSL (or TLS) don't trust that either.

BeHereNow Thu 11-Sep-08 00:39:01

MrVibrating Thu 11-Sep-08 00:45:48

No BHN, they do not need to put anything on your PC. This is the ideal scenario for a man in the middle attack, where a spying machine intercepts communications between the target PC and the servers it is connecting to. All the spying machine needs is to be on the same LAN and for its spying activity to not be noticed by the the network, which is easy if the network owner is being bribed.

RambleOn Thu 11-Sep-08 01:38:13

Could they bug your room? wink

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 08:17:35

MrVibrating Thu 11-Sep-08 11:21:28

AVG Anti Virus Pro is OK, I use Kaspersky because they do a good deal on a 3 user package at PC World, McAfee is also OK. Any of these should cover all bases. You don't need the Internet Security versions because all these add is a firewall (and Windows Vista firewall is OK) and a spam email filter.

If you are using yahoo webmail, your emails and attachments should be safe because this uses a SSL connection (https) - check for the padlock in the IE status bar. This also applies to your bank account. If you are using POP3 or IMAP to download email to Outlook or whatever, you need to check the account settings and make sure 'Use SSH' is enabled.

Given the enthusiasm in the former Soviet block both for chess and for internet hacking, I can see that this is a big potential problem. You could press the organising body (BCF?) to set up a VPN for people to use when in vulnerable locations. I am sure a combination of an IT company sponsor and Lottery money would fund it.

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 16:18:16

MrVibrating Thu 11-Sep-08 17:42:47

Ah, I see Yahoo use SSH for login only, which does at least keep your password safe, but then reverts to open http, leaving your messages and downloads wide open to MITM attacks. My mistake - I don't use it.

Google mail has the option of https throughout, so you could get a gmail account. Failing that you could encrypt the attachments. Make sure you use a really good password - 10 randomly selected upper and lower case letters and digits are enough (generate a list of passwords and give a copy to the person on the other end), change the password each time and only encrypt one file at a time. I use 7zip for compression/encryption.

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 20:34:50

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 20:35:45

BeHereNow Thu 11-Sep-08 23:15:29

KissYourKerryAssGoodbye Thu 11-Sep-08 23:17:38

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now