Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have an iPhone? What is the sat nav like?

(9 Posts)
MmeLindt Tue 09-Sep-08 20:10:16

I am buying an iPhone when I move and we really need a sat nav too. I have read that the iPhone has sat nav on it. Is it any good? Is it a replacement for a normal sat nav?

hellsbells76 Tue 09-Sep-08 20:16:21

it has gps, but it's not that reliable at the moment as it's linked to google maps and so you need a network signal - this is very patchy especially when you're travelling in a car. It also doesn't have audible turn-by-turn directions. Tom tom are supposed to be developing a sat nav app for the iPhone which may help slightly, but until network coverage improves it's pretty much useless for that purpose.

It's fab in every other way though! Except maybe battery life...

MmeLindt Tue 09-Sep-08 20:23:56

Thanks, will have to look for a sat nav too then. We will be in Switzerland, so I am not sure how the network coverage there is.

I just have to persuade DH that we really need one now.

I am so excited about getting the iPhone

hellsbells76 Tue 09-Sep-08 21:48:29

I hope your dh is prepared to be widowed for a while...I've barely spoken to another living soul since mine arrived!

bramblebooks Tue 09-Sep-08 23:55:48

I have divorced my dh and become wed to mine. I love it! I think for satnav I'd prefer a tom tom itself.

Califrau Tue 09-Sep-08 23:59:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MmeLindt Wed 10-Sep-08 09:38:48

I am a bit undecided whether to get the 8GB or the 16GB one. What do you guys have?

hellsbells76 Wed 10-Sep-08 09:47:36

16GB for me - mainly because I have a lot of music and partly bought it to replace my dead ipod. If you don't want to use that feature particualrly, I expect the 8GB would be fine.

MmeLindt Wed 10-Sep-08 10:33:02

I do not have an ipod and do not really listen to much music except at home and in the car, so it would be mainly used as a telephone and to send emails.

Thanks for the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now