Talk

Advanced search

Am trying to restore emails & settings after a wiped drive and I don't know how to do it, can anyone help me please???

(4 Posts)
scanner Mon 01-Sep-08 17:34:58

All my files are backed up with carbonite, so I assume there should be a file somewhere that will give me my email back. I've got office working again, but I don't have the details of my email settings, so I'm clinging on to the hope there's a file with it. Am self employed so this is a potential disaster.

Can anyone help, please?

nush32 Mon 01-Sep-08 19:57:47

Go to your email account provider and type in the version of microsoft office you are using, then with your email settings from your email account you should be able to follow the step by step guide.
Type the question into google!
Hope this helps

MrVibrating Tue 02-Sep-08 00:40:45

I am assuming you are talking about a Window$ PC and used Outlook for email.

The good news is that there is a file with your email account settings, the bad news is that it is the windows registry. If you have got a copy of the relevant registry files from Carbonite you could try this utility which might do the trick (I have never tried it), but frankly this is something that not even the most techy techie would approach with confidence.

Probably easier to get your email provider to send you the settings - you will have to convince them you are who you say you are of course.

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Sep-08 00:54:17

Which drives/folders was carbonite backing up? There's a chance (I don't know carbonite, but thinking about default settings on some other products) that it was only set to back up your My Documents folder and similar, and typically your email folders would be stored elsewhere.

And are you trying to restore your actual old emails, or your contacts, or just your email account settings?

Which email provider do you use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now