Talk

Advanced search

windows firewall........is it any good

(4 Posts)
2shoes Thu 28-Aug-08 13:46:32

just downloaded a free one and it is doing my head in. I am running AVG now, so need a firewall.
will the windows one be ok.
if I down load a free one, which one should I go for. preferlably one that will not make everything go slow.

EvelynsDad Thu 28-Aug-08 15:00:40

Windows firewall doesn't have a great reputation. To be honest I don't know anyone that uses it and whether it's poor reputation is justified.

Most people I know use ZoneAlarm.

2shoes Thu 28-Aug-08 16:57:10

that is what I have downloaded. it was being a pain, but seems to have calmed down a bit now.
ds just kept saying that the windows one would do(as only a 16 year old can)
thanks

MrVibrating Thu 28-Aug-08 20:41:36

I use Windows Firewall, the version in Vista works fine.

When I was on XP I used ZoneAlarm though, so cannot recommend the Windows XP firewall. AFAIK the bad reputation was based on the XP firewall which tended to work TOO well and stopped things working on corporate networks.

More importantly, if you are running the free version of AVG you need some proper anti-virus software that scans downloads (including ActiveX) on the fly. Neither AVG Free nor any firewall will do that (it's not what firewalls are for).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now