Talk

Advanced search

Is there anyone out there who knows about spyware?

(9 Posts)
scanner Tue 26-Aug-08 16:10:58

when I switched my computer on today there were warning signs all over it saying I had some spyware on it. I've run the antispyware software, which says that it has removed 1 file, but there are still warnings on the computer when I start it up.

Help?

scanner Tue 26-Aug-08 17:01:56

bump

MrVibrating Tue 26-Aug-08 18:07:42

It sounds like what you have is worse than spyware. What anti-virus software are you using?

scanner Wed 27-Aug-08 16:12:32

Well I got to the bottom of it, turns out that the so-called anti virus software is the cause of the problem. I fell for an apparently well known scam. A box popped up a couple of weeks ago saying I had a virus and ought to buy some anti-virus software. I clicked on the link and I thought it was microsoft, dh was with me and he didn't spot anything fishy either. I paid £39 too!. It's called XP Solutions.

I believe I now need to buy a legitimate anti-virus software as it's very hard to remove from the computer.

AgaBoo Tue 02-Sep-08 10:30:07

To detect spyware on Windows try "Spybot", "AdAware", both are free downloads.

FioFio Tue 02-Sep-08 10:31:10

Message withdrawn

Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 10:31:46

Oh God dp has that xp solutions on his laptop! I certainly hope he hasn't paid for it. Shit.

MamaMiaImADiva Tue 02-Sep-08 10:34:25

I bought Norton i March and within 2 days my computer was riddled with virus, spyware and ad ware, I deleted it ronto and downloaded some free ones.

I have Spyware Terminator, Ad aware and Avast anti virus they are all free downloads and they have worked well for me.

mrspnut Tue 02-Sep-08 10:40:58

Trend Micro's PCcillin is a very good paid for anti virus and spyware which you can use on 3 computers at a time.

Their Housecall is a free virus scan that you run from their website and it tends to catch most things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now