Talk

Advanced search

Can I buy an iPhone without connecting it to a mobile network

(18 Posts)
MrsFogi Wed 20-Aug-08 17:11:07

and use it as a PDA synced to my iMac calendar, address book etc?

DaddyJ Wed 20-Aug-08 17:31:14

what you want is the iPod Touch
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

Tis very slinky! smile

alibubbles Thu 21-Aug-08 13:50:08

I have two iPod touch that I would like to sell. One has been little used, itunes only, for 2 months, my mother bought them for us, but we all have iphones so they are redundant, The other one is unopened and still sealed.

CaptainPants Thu 21-Aug-08 15:09:02

The question is why would you want an iPhone?

The battery life is terrible, It is not secure and there are better products on the market.

See this Guardian blog about Apple

alibubbles Thu 21-Aug-08 15:17:33

Because nothing else syncs properly with an Apple mac, I had a blackberry, and it is not very Mac compatible and I don't have a PC.

The iPhone works well for me.

llareggub Thu 21-Aug-08 15:39:09

My itouch does very well battery-wise, actually! It works very well as a PDA type device. I'm very happy with it.

CaptainPants Thu 21-Aug-08 15:42:36

Getting an Apple Mac was the first mistake, doomed to a World of pretty things that aren't quite as good as the best of the rest.

I used to do IT support for Macs. Great design and very stable but not secure or flexible. They also tie you into such a small selection of applications and hardware.

alibubbles Thu 21-Aug-08 16:41:11

I've had Mac's for 20 years. DD is very frustrated by the PC given to her by her employer. I can't use it, mac is so simple, perhaps I am!!

alibubbles Thu 21-Aug-08 16:42:11

Why not secure? I run everything on my mac that a PC doesm including Office 2008.

CaptainPants Fri 22-Aug-08 11:31:30

Apple is notorious for being slow to admit let alone patch faults. I will not run through a history but here some recent links.
DNS
iPhone
iPhone again

PCs are not perfect, Windows or Linux, but at least the makers are open about it and do something about it. IT is always work in progress.

I've still got my Mac SE from 1989, it makes a nice ornament.

I want DC1 and DC2 to be tech savy so it is a PC for them.

llareggub Fri 22-Aug-08 13:29:20

I guess PC and mac lovers will never agree. I've had years of virus-free mac use, and it has never failed me yet. This is my 3rd mac and nothing has ever gone wrong.

DH has the same views on PCs as you hold regarding macs, so I guess it is a case of each to their own.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 22-Aug-08 14:04:19

Oh CaptainPants that is such bollocks. Honestly. How many years of trotting out the same old excuses again and again. It's 2008. Macs are compatible with PCs and run lots of software and hardware. Whether you like them or not is a different issue but update your arguments please.

Piffle Fri 22-Aug-08 14:12:17

I love my iPod touch although it is actually dp's but he never gets a go on it
Am typing on it now!

CaptainPants Fri 22-Aug-08 15:31:05

I never said I don't like Macs and it is not viruses that are the problem. Mac users tend to live in a World of their own not thinking about security and unaware that Apple doesn't take security seriously.

Eyeballs it was Alibubbles who said that "nothing else syncs properly with an Apple mac".

I can't use Macs in our offices because they don't run or sync properly with enterprise applications. They are fine for home use, a bit of Internet, maybe listen to some music, edit the family album maybe.

Apple moved from their old os to one based on Linux because they were being left behind but not much has changed.

As i said before I still have a Mac, it makes a nice ornament.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 22-Aug-08 15:56:52

Sorry Capt. Didn't mean my post to be so aggressive, I was waiting for my MIL to turn up! I do just get a bit tired of the 'Macs are only useful for playing with' argument. I've owned about 7 over the years, plus 4 iPods and 2 iPhones. Never had an ounce of problem with any of them, not once and neither have any of the many Mac users that I talk to. My battery life on my iPhone is grand, it's a far better device than my Blackberry, which incidentally synched just fine with my Mac. I've recommended Macs to countless people over the years and not one person has gone back to using a PC including my teacher friend who used iMacs in her classroom 10 years ago and detested them then.

OK rant over Each to his/her own and all that

CaptainPants Fri 22-Aug-08 17:20:52

It is okay Eyeball. I was a Mac user once but I put away my sandles and stopped reading the Guardian... only joking, I still read the Guardian.

Don't like my Blackberry much either. Great for typing and Internet is okay.

I've recommended Macs to people but would never ever have one at work again.

Not a good idea to have them in schools. It is like teaching someone to drive using a dodgem car, maybe okay for primary school. Hope I haven't offended. Mac user baiting is too easy... Sorry.

llareggub Fri 22-Aug-08 17:23:58

We use our macs for far more than a bit of internet and editing the family album!

We run all our macs on a network which also serves an all singing all dancing Xerox printer, on which my DH runs his business. He does all of his graphic design work on his Poweerbook G4 and he has never touched a PC in his life.

Incidentally, I also have a work PC laptop which never gets used for personal stuff. It just can't do what my mac can do. All the applications I have for my mac work so intuitively. It takes ages to work out similar stuff on the PC.

CaptainPants Fri 22-Aug-08 21:07:54

I have looked after hundreds (possibly 600+) Macs for publishers and other organisations and many, many more PCs. Trust me Macs just do not cut it in the corporate work place.

I strongly suggest you look at some of the links I put in earlier especially the DNS issue.

Do you have a Firewall? not a software application but a proper hardened Firewall, if you do it will not be using an Apple OS. Do you have a server? you might, just might be one of the few users of an Apple server if so your data is probably not secure. I do not wish to be unkind but a few designers with their Macs sharing a printer, not exactly pushing the bounds of networking topology.

People buy Macs because they look nice or the were brought up using Quark on them. I have never ever heard of anyone buying one because of its security features or for its networking functions.

I'm off to read some Black Hat reviews.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now