Talk

Advanced search

Antivirus xp has installed itself and I can't get rid of it. Help!

(7 Posts)
Arbuthnot Sun 17-Aug-08 16:18:08

Something called antivirus xp has appeared on my computer. It tells me I have 1500+ viruses that I need to get rid of and sends me to a page which wants me to pay £49.99. When I try to uninstall it I get the error message that says it has to close down. It makes it hard to get onto the internet and is generally pissing me off. How do I get rid of it, or disable it?

By the way, I run AVG and have no viruses! At the moment I am cursing Microsoft as I assume it is linked to them.

MegSophandEmma Sun 17-Aug-08 16:40:03

Ouch thats a nasty! I had it last week and then downloaded a supposed antivirus thing to get rid, which turned out to be a hoooooge virus, whch then wouldn't allow me to turn on my computer. angry I suggest you reformat your puter. I now have a new computer!!

MegSophandEmma Sun 17-Aug-08 16:41:28

Its nothing to do with MS btw. I tried emailing the address on the bottom of the webpage and it is a fake. Seriously Re format.

Arbuthnot Sun 17-Aug-08 17:02:25

By reformat do you mean reinstall everything? God only knows where all the discs are.

Having done a bit of reading it does seem like a bastard of a thing to get. I may be calling the computer shop tomorrow to see if they can kill it!

Arbuthnot Sun 17-Aug-08 17:05:14

By the way what did you download so I can avoid it? Aaargh! V sorry you got the little blighter too.

EvelynsDad Sun 17-Aug-08 18:32:45

There seem to be a couple of removal tools

This page refers to Spyhunter.

This page refers to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

I have not tried either tool.

Arbuthnot Mon 18-Aug-08 20:09:17

I decided to take it into a shop and am using DHs laptop in the meantime! Thank you for your help and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now