Talk

Advanced search

How do you block internet access on one computer on wireless network...Teenagers Grrrr

(10 Posts)
fizzbuzz Fri 15-Aug-08 21:33:18

Ds's addiction to x box live is getting beyond a joke. He is in the attic where I can't police him all the time and he is exploiting this situation fully!

Found him on xbox live at 2.15am angry. He is 14...this is not going to continue.

So, need a gizmo, where I can turn off just his internet access, preferably password controlled and very cheap. In fact I need to turn off his xbox live and computer as well. Not all the time, just at times dictated by me {grin] No good turning off whole network, as whole house addicted to internet.

fizzbuzz Fri 15-Aug-08 22:14:33

bump

SparklyGothKat Fri 15-Aug-08 22:16:40

is it wireless or wired? if wired, take his lead, if wireless can you take something away? (does it need a doo-dar plugged in?)

QuintessentialShadows Fri 15-Aug-08 22:20:11

Cant you do it from your windows settings? Make one log in for you, as administrator, set a password. Create one log in for him, without a password. Enable Parental control from the control panel? Specify time he is allowed online?

Otherwise you could try Omniquad Desktop Surveillance.

littlelapin Fri 15-Aug-08 22:22:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fizzbuzz Sat 16-Aug-08 13:44:01

Thank you for all your kind posts, which are Greek to me grin

Dp has managed to transalate them and says it is possible. I want something which I can do remotely, not by charging up 4 flights of stairs to remove cables (too old and tired for that!

EvelynsDad Sat 16-Aug-08 21:12:30

My router (Linksys WRT54G) has an access restrictions section that allows you to limit the times when the internet is available.

Assuming that the modem is not in his bedroom, you could just remove the cable from the phone socket to the modem when you go to bed.

fizzbuzz Sun 17-Aug-08 14:57:51

No, because we have other teenagers who are up later who want to use the internet, so that isn't really an option

EvelynsDad Sun 17-Aug-08 18:34:37

OK, you need to look at what access restrictions are available on your router.

nannynick Sun 17-Aug-08 21:42:39

I think what you want to do is to block a specific MAC address (i.e. the MAC address of the X-Box) during certain time periods.

Login to your router admin control and see what options it gives you. You may find that you can block a MAC address, but not on a time basis. So that would mean that you would have to login to the router each time to block and unblock the address.

Any system could be beaten, so you need to use other tactics as well - nagging your DS to go to bed, checking up on him constantly (if he is being childish - treat him like a young child). Ban the X-Box, relocate the X-Box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now