Talk

Advanced search

Oh FFS! Every time my laptop decides it needs to 'update' something, it takes it upon itself to shutdown....

(10 Posts)
flowerybeanbag Fri 15-Aug-08 12:25:05

In the middle of whatever I am doing, it just shuts down every programme without giving me a chance to save, and restarts.

Arrrrggghh!

Can I tell it to please wait until I next shut down before it does this?

It's a Sony Vaio if that's relevant.

thank you!

whoops Fri 15-Aug-08 12:28:11

Grr I feel for you!
I left my work machine for 5 mins yesterday and found it had restared because of updates and because I wasn't at my desk to postpone it it went ahead.
Luckily I wasn't in anything important at the time and nothing was lost.
Can;t help you with how to stop it completely but will watch to find out grin

padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 12:28:35

You on vista? ITS AWFUL. You can tell it to wait 4 hours but its like going back to 1991. Bet it takes about a week to boot up too.

padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 12:28:36

You on vista? ITS AWFUL. You can tell it to wait 4 hours but its like going back to 1991. Bet it takes about a week to boot up too.

flowerybeanbag Fri 15-Aug-08 12:43:22

It is Vista, yes. Can you tell it to wait? How? As far as I can tell it just does it randomly...

To be fair my laptop does boot up really quickly, but still unbelievably irritating.

padboz Fri 15-Aug-08 12:47:01

At the point where it warns you that its going to do it there is a dropdown on the dialogue window that lets you postpone it

If you want to disable it for the entire time you are working you can do this

www.howtogeek.com/howto/uncategorized/temporarily-disable-windows-updates-automatic-reboot-in-vista/

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Fri 15-Aug-08 12:49:43

oh yes mine does that you have it set to do automatic updates.

you can change it by going into control panel and select automatic updates. mine is xp media edition though. i was advised against upgrading to vista due to problems on it.

EvelynsDad Fri 15-Aug-08 14:47:53

Here are some instructions for configuring automatic updates in Vista.

Change the selection in step 3 to suit yourself. I like the second option which downloads updates, but doesn't install them until I say so.

EvelynsDad Fri 15-Aug-08 14:50:09

Don't forget you can set Word, Excel, OpenOffice, etc. to backup your work every 5 minutes, so you can recover all/most of your session if it does shut down before you've saved it.

flowerybeanbag Fri 15-Aug-08 14:53:41

Ooh thank you padboz, shesells and evelynsdad for v helpful replies!!

Padboz no dialogue box pops up to warn me, that's half the problem. I'm typing in Word or on MN or whatever, then it just shuts down. Once it's shut down all the applications I've got open it then says it's updating don't switch back on or something. angry

Thanks all for the links will have a bash!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now