Talk

Advanced search

I need to build a very basic website - at v little cost - FOC if poss - any ideas?

(11 Posts)
RubyRioja Wed 13-Aug-08 20:23:49

I want to build a basic website all about me to demonstrate I can for an interview.

Do you think it is do-able for a near luddite? Want to spend minimum poss.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

thisisyesterday Wed 13-Aug-08 20:31:03

yes, there are a lot of free hosting places you can use, I made one eons ago with angelfire (think they're now lycos?)
but anyway, a quick google should chuck them up

it would only cost you if you wanted to register a domain and/or pay for hosting

thisisyesterday Wed 13-Aug-08 20:31:18

yes, there are a lot of free hosting places you can use, I made one eons ago with angelfire (think they're now lycos?)
but anyway, a quick google should chuck them up

it would only cost you if you wanted to register a domain and/or pay for hosting

mrspnut Wed 13-Aug-08 20:31:21

Go to the library, get html for dummies or dreamweaver for dummies and a copy of dreamweaver if you can and start practising.

It is easy to pick up, our 11 year old taught herself but dad was on hand for a little pointer she needed.

If you can't get a copy of dreamweaver (and I think you can get a 30 day free trial) then front page or openoffice Impress would do a similar thing.

RubyRioja Wed 13-Aug-08 20:39:59

lovely thanks
googling brings up moonfruit - checking archives suggests moonfruit OK - any tips anyone?

EffiePerine Wed 13-Aug-08 20:42:33

what exactly do you want?

wordpress is free and good for a bloggy type thing (you can add other content like fixed pages as well)

EffiePerine Wed 13-Aug-08 20:43:11

wordpress.com

static pages with a dymanic posting thing (like MN)

depends what you'd be using it for

RubyRioja Wed 13-Aug-08 21:05:06

plan to create sort of website cv

SpookyMadMummy Wed 13-Aug-08 21:56:32

Look at yahoo geocities or freewebs. Both free. With Geocities you would have to have or create a yahoo account.

green Thu 14-Aug-08 06:49:20

My husband says:

Wordpress like rubyrioja says is a v good and free option (with lots of templates to choose from and fourms giving assistace). I'd stay clear of html and your own pages unless you're super committed to learning how to do it well.

Also look at blogspot, another blogging tool which you can tailor to behave more like a static site.

RubyRioja Thu 14-Aug-08 09:33:24

Have made a start - will literally be my cv over five pages with some creative pics to show elements of my personality - cheesey grin

I think the organiosation is more luddite than me, so hopefully will take it on board that I can so something basic!

Thanks v much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now