Talk

Advanced search

pop-ups

(6 Posts)
twoluvlykids Fri 08-Aug-08 15:56:11

I've spent £70 on Norton security & downloaded a free pop-up blocker,but I'm still getting pop-ups ALL the time!Does anyone know how I can stop them permnantly? All advice gratefully received.

CoteDAzur Fri 08-Aug-08 16:05:58

Download Google toolbar. I have no pop-ups whatsoever.

nannynick Fri 08-Aug-08 17:19:11

Some pop-ups can be very hard to block, so you will always see some.
Start Tech Stuff ~
technically speaking some aren't pop-ups, but may be a hidden DIV which is made visible after a certain time period.
~ End Tech Stuff

If you still get a lot, then make sure you run a full system Virus Scan and AdWare scan. Also try switching to a different browser - see if there is a difference. If there is, then something may have infected the other browser via a Browser Help Object or some other way.

Do the pop-up windows contain any info to help identify where they come from? For example, while browsing Mumsnet, do you see any Pop-Ups?

twoluvlykids Sat 09-Aug-08 16:09:57

i've just tried downloading google toolbar, but i "already got one" as they said on monty python,so i have to uninstall that one first!the pop up blocker has said "99 blocked" for a few days - not increased.pop ups are appearing no matter what - on mn, on msn if my dd on it, but they do seem to have got worse since our French student used this laptop to play some wierd French online dragon game (without our permission). nannynick, what's a DIV?

twoluvlykids Sat 09-Aug-08 18:42:05

good news,got ds to uninstall & then re install google toolbar and that seems to have worked!it's like new!thanks CoteD and NannyN

toy23 Sun 10-Aug-08 22:00:46

Also check youre pc for spyware that could cause increased popups amount firefox browser is good also and has nice builtin popup blocker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now