Talk

Advanced search

Need t buy a new PC

(6 Posts)
redclover79 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:58:23

PC is on it's last legs, it was cobbled together from bits and pieces from 2 ancient PCs anyway so it's time to bite the bullet and get a new one. I've just been looking on the Currys website (not sure how good Currys are tbh!) and have found the following cheap bargains Are any of them any good? We've lloked at Dell etc but the Currys ones come with Windows etc (we currently only have Windows 98, so we may as well update that as well). Are they any good? We only need a basic model, we don't do much on the PC apart from emails and Mumsnet!!
Any advice gratefully received as we've no clue about how much RAM we need etc.
Thanks!

paranoidmother Tue 05-Aug-08 16:15:44

I would recommend an Apple computer any time.

They come all set up. I've had one for 5 years and no problem with it at all. Everything is loaded onto it and you plug it in and away you go.

It is simple and almost as cheap as PC but oh so much better. My husband is in IT and only will buy Apple Mac and not PC's. Mac's can do everything PC's do but better.

Sorry rather enthusiastic about Apple.

EvelynsDad Tue 05-Aug-08 17:54:46

The COMPAQ PRESARIO SR5228 looks like a reasonable buy to me. It's got decent RAM, a reasonable hard disk, reasonable graphics a card reader and a network card. Compaq is an HP brands, so I'd expect it to be reasonably solid.

redclover79 Tue 05-Aug-08 19:48:10

thanks paranoidmother- apples are little bit more than I can afford by the looks of it!
Evelynsdad- just had a look- what's a network card? blush

EvelynsDad Tue 05-Aug-08 20:26:01

A network card allows you to connect your PC to a network. Assuming that you are on broadband your connection to your broadband modem will either be via a network connection (ethernet) or a USB connection, depending on the type of modem. Network connections are generally better if you have a choice.

redclover79 Tue 05-Aug-08 20:57:35

Thanks EvelynsDad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now