Talk

Advanced search

ofgs it's doing it again, mn slow slow to load any blommin thread, page.

(12 Posts)
piratecat Mon 04-Aug-08 19:38:56

imagine sitting there and waiting 1 min or more for a thread to load. i can't stand it.it did this afew weeks ago and was like it for about 24 hrs.

but why, doesn any one have a clue?

not happening on any other site on the whole freaking internet.

EvelynsDad Tue 05-Aug-08 14:48:51

Have you got ad blocking?

piratecat Thu 07-Aug-08 11:29:43

hi it's back to normal now. I don't know if i have ad blocking ???

I used to have adware?

EvelynsDad Thu 07-Aug-08 14:42:11

This is often caused by slow advertising sites. Firefox users can use Adblock Plus, if you're using IE or Safari then Privoxy is probably the solution.

piratecat Thu 07-Aug-08 16:18:48

hi would you give me a link, a direct one, as I had a look and am not sure which to download. I have IE, windows xp. although it is running on a pc which is nearly ten yrs old.

I am running out of hard drive space frequently, even when i run my spyware progs etc...

I think i need a new pc, as my version of windiws is a copy anyhow and I can't get any windows updates.

Whats the best system to go for, i wonder? Plus i am skint!!!

EvelynsDad Thu 07-Aug-08 16:59:09

www.privoxy.org/

If you're that skint, keep the old machine, dump Windows and put a suitable version of Linux on it.

Ubuntu is flavour of the month, but if your machine is too old and slow for Ubuntu, there are plenty of Linux variants optimised for older machines, maybe Puppy Linux or DamnSmallLinux would suit you?

piratecat Thu 07-Aug-08 17:07:46

which of these evelynsdad?

sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=11118&package_id=23580&release_id=614715&abmode=1

and do i 'open' or 'save ' to my pc?

whats with the linux thing, how is it different?

EvelynsDad Thu 07-Aug-08 20:37:22

Download the first file ( privoxysetup_3_09.exe) and open it. It should run the installer, then you configure IE's proxy settings to use port 8118.

I'm away for a while and I won't be around to offer any more help until late next week.

The Linux thing is another operating system, just think of it as a replacement for Windows. Unlike Windows it can be customised to your requirements. That's a bit complicated for most people, but fortunately there are hundreds of different customised versions other people have done (known as distributions). Most of them are free, so you can play around at no cost, other than your time.

Some are specifically customised to make efficient use of older hardware (Windows seems to be designed to be inefficient and make you buy the latest).

Installing Linux can be a bit technical, but some distributions are easier to install than others. Whatever you do don't install a new operating system without backing up your data.

piratecat Thu 07-Aug-08 21:19:32

hiya, thanks for your help.

i installed it, ok i think.

then get this when i click on the icon on in the toolbar??

Aug 07 21:17:44.447 Privoxy(00000730) Info: No thread-safe PRNG implemented for your platform. Using weak 'randomization' factor which will limit the already questionable usefulness of header-time-randomizing actions (disabled by default).

i don't know what this means!!!!

bubbles4 Fri 08-Aug-08 21:18:17

Have you tried using mozilla firefox instead of IE,its a free download and since I started using it,I,ve had no problems with slow loading pages.If you try it, use flashblock as an add on as that will block the ads that use flash that slow the internet down.

EvelynsDad Tue 12-Aug-08 15:29:17

I can't say I understand that message fully, but I understand enough to say it's nothing to worry about.

EvelynsDad Thu 14-Aug-08 21:37:43

If you're interested in this Linux malarkey you can run many distributions from CD, without installing them. This allows you to see what it's all about and whether you are comfortable with it, without any risk to your existing system and data.

The down side is that running from CD is slower than running from a hard disk, so you don't really get a feel for it's normal performance. 2 distributions that are optimised for older machines are Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux (the DSL site looks a bit geeky to me).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now