Talk

Advanced search

Can I no longer listen to radio 4 on the stand alone realplayer?

(6 Posts)
MrsFogi Fri 01-Aug-08 10:06:58

Is my only option to use the streaming iplayer and open a new window when I want to surf to another website?

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 01-Aug-08 10:17:26

Seems like it's all changed over to iplayer now, but on my pc the iplayer opens in its own window.

When you say you want to surf to another website - can you not open a new tab at the top (File, New Tab or just click on the next blank one) and still leave the radio 4 website open?

MrsFogi Fri 01-Aug-08 12:44:36

WandP I end up having to manually open a new window or the whole thing stops. Also, am I going to risk going over my broadband limits with streaming radio all day?

toy23 Fri 01-Aug-08 20:19:54

If you get the ip off the radio station try vlc media player its free and great for online radio i use it all time.

nannynick Sun 03-Aug-08 20:23:19

Listen Again seems to use RealPlayer.
It will open the iplayer window, and you can right click on the bottom section and should get a menu saying Play in RealPlayer.
Listen Live seems to use MediaPlayer. Stream seems to be www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/wm_asx/aod/radio4.asx so you could try opening that directly in MediaPlayer.

Yes, listening to radio will use some of your broadband limit. Probably best to monitor how much you use. If your broadband provider does not let you see amount of data you have used, try installing NetMeter which will monitor your downloads and uploads and warn you if you get near a specified limit.

nannynick Sun 03-Aug-08 20:26:33

Live stream, RealAudio - www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/realplayer/media/fmg2.ram

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now