Talk

Advanced search

Our Zone Alarm free trial ends today - does anyone know of any other similar free products to use?

(11 Posts)
Dottydot Wed 30-Jul-08 10:31:38

Don't really understand what Zone Alarm does but apparently it's ending today. Any help with suggesting other products which might be free would be great...

Thanks

Dottydot Wed 30-Jul-08 13:16:56

Oh come on - someone geeky IT literate must know something - and after having had a £600 garage bill today Lord knows it needs to be free....

charliecat Wed 30-Jul-08 13:18:50

google AVG thats free.

charliecat Wed 30-Jul-08 13:19:30

Who are you with you get free norton with BT option 2 and 3.

Dottydot Wed 30-Jul-08 13:39:44

Thanks - I'll have a look at AVG. We're with Virgin.

charliecat Wed 30-Jul-08 13:47:30

Ok, avg is free and fine, i have it on my pc.

RustyBear Wed 30-Jul-08 13:49:21

There is a completely free version of Zone Alarm - I've got it on one of my laptops & so does DS - presumably you've got a trial of the paid-for version.

You do have to spend a bit of time teaching it which programs to accept, but it just means clicking OK when it asks, and the last MS update managed to knock a lot of ZA users, including DS off the internet for a bit, but it's been fixed now.

RustyBear Wed 30-Jul-08 13:56:40

AVG free edition is not a firewall though, it's Anti virus, anti-spyware & has email & link scanners, but it won't protect you from hackers.

charliecat Wed 30-Jul-08 14:31:09

switch windows firewall on

SirDigbyChickenCaesar Wed 30-Jul-08 14:34:11

we have had the free version of Zone Alarm for years. It shouldn't end. (unless you have the mega pumped up version)

zebramama Thu 31-Jul-08 09:36:07

When you install the Free Version of Zone Alarm it asks you if you want to install a 3 month trial of the full software.
Say No - Continue with Free Edition.
Then you won't be pestered to part with money.
Add in AVG Free for Antivirus and you are sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now