Talk

Advanced search

Cheap place to get MS Office

(18 Posts)
KerryMum Tue 29-Jul-08 19:42:30

Online if possible.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 29-Jul-08 19:43:52

I asked this and someone on here very kindly suggested Open Office which is similar but free. I know that isn't what you asked but thought it might be helpful.

I can probably get you a link/website if you are interested?

KerryMum Tue 29-Jul-08 19:44:26

what is open office?

KerryMum Tue 29-Jul-08 19:44:28

what is open office?

onepieceoflollipop Tue 29-Jul-08 19:46:09

Will link relevant thread but will take 5 minutes. (distracted by EEnders in background!)

KerryMum Tue 29-Jul-08 19:49:25

lol

thanks

onepieceoflollipop Tue 29-Jul-08 19:53:28

Ok KM

Here are the relevant threads. I have been using it (mainly to open or create "Word" documents, so fairly basic stuff) but haven't had any problems.

here

and here

hth

jicky Tue 29-Jul-08 19:54:12

Can you not get the 'academic' rate as you have children in school ? PCWorld in the UK sold it to me on this basis. Don't know if this is true of Ireland but might be worth looking in to.

DontNeedAnything Tue 29-Jul-08 19:57:44

There is no "student rate" anymore.

They realised that they weren't actually selling and non student licenses.

Now you can get a "home and student" license without a school age child. I think it is £120.

Although I would also vote for Open office. It is free and has all the functionality of MS office (and is better in some respects). I would say download and install it and use it for free. If you then decide you don't like it or want to buy MS office by all means send a cheque for £120 to Bill Gates to put in his pension fund wink

KerryMum Tue 29-Jul-08 21:55:36

I will try open office. thanks!

can get download from MS in usd for $149. That's about 97 euro.

feckin hell.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 30-Jul-08 11:13:13

That's why I tried it KM and so far it has been fine. I figured that if I really needed access to the "proper" Microsoft Office as a one off, there are ways round it such as accessing library computer (also free) or dh can access at work or whatever.

Cappuccino Wed 30-Jul-08 11:15:29

I only use open office and it is fine; have used it alone for about a year now

I know a company that only uses it as well

you can save documents as MS Office documents so you can send them to people and share them as normal

there are no drawbacks as far as I can see

Cosette Wed 30-Jul-08 11:20:14

Open Office is good, but I prefer another free Office suite - Lotus Symphony from IBM, which is also open source.

symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa

KerryMum Fri 01-Aug-08 00:39:59

ok have downloaded open office but not used it yet.

thanks all! smile

KerryMum Fri 01-Aug-08 00:40:42

cossette last company I worked for used Lotus Notes. Granted this was ages ago. Whatever happened to lotus? It was in the running for MS competitor.

nannynick Fri 01-Aug-08 00:57:53

Lotus was brought by IBM.

Technology News 1-Aug-08: "IBM Lotus: we're beating Microsoft" (itwire.com)

Cosette Fri 01-Aug-08 19:20:03

Lotus was bought by IBM 12 years ago and now forms one of their software brands. Lotus is still going strong, and still very much competing against Microsoft. Lotus Notes is now on version 8, and they also have some great social networking tools for business.

toy23 Fri 01-Aug-08 20:16:33

try mininova and get utorrent but make sure scan all files you get for viruses.Is an option.Or you could try ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now