Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a retailer that sells 2nd hand Macs?

(18 Posts)
AllieBongo Tue 29-Jul-08 18:20:57

We are looking for a G5, dual processor, and I really don't want to risk ebay. Can anyone recommend a shop/site that sells them? Thanks

frogs Tue 29-Jul-08 18:24:25

Jigsaw is where I get all my Mac stuff. I don't think they do 2nd hand, but they sometimes have end-of-line or ex-display stuff.

They are fab, and have lovely tech support too.

I probably would risk ebay if it was truly barginaceous, assuming I could go round and try it before paying.

Depends how little you want to pay, really.

AllieBongo Tue 29-Jul-08 18:36:45

Lovely thanks! We only have about £500 to spend unfortunately...

OverMyDeadBody Tue 29-Jul-08 18:39:53

I thought you meant a raincoat until I clicked on the jigsaw link!blush

AllieBongo Tue 29-Jul-08 18:44:10

that would be far bloody cheaper. they are so expensive but dh needs one for his design work

southeastastra Tue 29-Jul-08 18:44:57

i have a mac se from 1991 grin

frogs Tue 29-Jul-08 18:48:23

This?

Maybe slightly over budget though.

Phone Jigsaw sales and ask if they have any ex-demo models. They are v. good at talking you through what you actually need, rather than just flogging the most expensive model.

If you do go the ebay route, pay through paypal. Buyer protection is pretty good that way.

AllieBongo Wed 30-Jul-08 19:40:55

thanks frogs. I'll let dh sort it. he's pretty clued up on what he needs, but i won't let him have anymore cash i'll get him to give them a call.

funnypeculiar Wed 30-Jul-08 19:44:39

<lurks> Useful link, thanks smile

llareggub Wed 30-Jul-08 19:45:21

alliebongo, we have a g4 powerbook and an imac going spare...were going to ebay. You can CAT me or email on llareggubmn@gmail.com if you are interested.

AllieBongo Wed 30-Jul-08 19:56:43

I know he's after a better machine than he has now. i'll drop you a line when i get in from work. thanks

alibubbles Thu 31-Jul-08 10:10:17

This is the chap who buys all my old mac machines, upgrades them and moves them on.

He also maintains our 5 macs and has done for severala years. he is worth a call to see what he has.
jgh

AllieBongo Thu 31-Jul-08 14:35:53

thanks ali. that's perfect as we are only about 30 mins from Royston!

www.barringtonstoke.co.uk
Books for children (and adults) with a reading age lower than actual age. Also easy to read type face, illustrations that match tesk and help carry story. Specially designed for dyslexic/struggling readers but in 'normal' looking covers to help with street cred.

Sorry, wrong thread!

AllieBongo Thu 31-Jul-08 21:01:02

lol

HairyMaclary Thu 31-Jul-08 21:27:55

The mac website sell refurbished ones.here

alibubbles Thu 31-Jul-08 22:24:15

You need to scroll down to the right hand corner where it says special deals/refurbished. That is where I have bought all of mine, some 7 macs, ipods, etc. now in various forms, and then pass them on to JGH!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now