Talk

Advanced search

Why does my microphone not work when I plug it inot the computer?

(12 Posts)
schneebly Wed 16-Jul-08 23:48:55

Anyone any ideas? I downloaded a free trial on some recording software but cant get my micrphone to work sad

KerryMum Wed 16-Jul-08 23:49:39

is it a new microphone? Or have you used it before just not with this application?

schneebly Wed 16-Jul-08 23:50:18

I tried 2 different ones and they work with my amp but not on the computer.

KerryMum Wed 16-Jul-08 23:51:14

I'm assuming you've tried the obvious stuff like making sure it's in the correct port, volume on computer turned up, mute not on, etc.

schneebly Wed 16-Jul-08 23:53:04

Yes I am pretty sure all that is ok. Not sure what the problem is sad My trial will run out soon!

Thanks for replying though kerrymum smile

KerryMum Wed 16-Jul-08 23:54:25

I just plugged my mic in and it works.

Is there another application you can try the mic on besides the trial ware? If it works on another application than you know you haven't configured the trialware properly.

schneebly Wed 16-Jul-08 23:55:53

Oh that is possible I guess! Do you know if there any way I can test the mic on the computer without the software?

KerryMum Wed 16-Jul-08 23:56:34

do you have skype?

schneebly Wed 16-Jul-08 23:58:43

no skype but could download if it is easy? Must go to bed now just realised the time and have to make sure DH manages to get up at 3am! shock He is working at the British Golf Open at Royal Birkdale <<yawn>>

Thanks - will investigate in the morning!

KerryMum Thu 17-Jul-08 00:01:43

yes it is easy to download but you need to call someone to test mic. If you have no one I'll give you my skype id and you can call me.

schneebly Thu 17-Jul-08 00:02:30

great - will let you know tomorrow. thanks again smile Goodnight.

zebramama Thu 17-Jul-08 10:24:25

You can do a skype test call for free without needing any "friends".

I would guess that you are either plugging the mic into the wrong port on the PC or that the "Mute" box is ticked in the Microphone Audio settings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now