Talk

Advanced search

Have bought an external hard drive for my Macbook - Help!!!!

(11 Posts)
SoupKitchen Wed 16-Jul-08 18:23:28

With all this talk of lost photos through dying laptops, I have bought myself an external harddrive to allow me to back up with ease.
BUT
I cant work out how to load it in or transfer data to it<thick emoticon>

I have a Macbook
It is a Maxtor Basics External harddrive

The instrucions are very basic ie plug in switch on.
The only thing it says is Mac users should launch the Apple Disk Utility to reformat the drive.

WTF

Please I am very computer illiterate , please someone rescue meblush

SoupKitchen Wed 16-Jul-08 18:48:44

I have now been trying to do this for over an hourblush
any ideas?

alibubbles Wed 16-Jul-08 19:22:08

We tried to do this, and didnd't succeed. All I know is the 60GB hard drive we bought was not capable or fast enough for storing photos. Easier to use .mac, or mobileme as it is now.

retiredgoth Wed 16-Jul-08 19:28:51

.....how new is your MacBook?

If it is less than a year old it should have the "Leopard" operating system which has an application called "Time Machine". This is designed to keep a constant running back-up of your machine. Just start the application and it will walk you through the process...

(just tried it for myself, it works!)

retiredgoth Wed 16-Jul-08 19:30:19

....or if you have an iPod, that is in itself an "external disc" which keeps a record of your photos and music!

SoupKitchen Wed 16-Jul-08 19:30:23

About 16 months old, I have looked for timemachine in apps, but can't find it.sad

SoupKitchen Wed 16-Jul-08 19:30:45

no ipod

EyeballsintheSky Wed 16-Jul-08 19:34:23

Or you could just look for Disc Utility (applications -> utilities) and run it to see if it will reformat the drive. I have an Iomega drive and it just appears on the desktop and I transfer to it the same way I do with any folder.

retiredgoth Wed 16-Jul-08 19:36:25

....does another hard disc image appear on your desk top when you plug it in?

If so try dragging and dropping iPhoto into the disc icon...

If this fails I will post a message on the Apple Mac forum on the OU site. The Uber-Geeks there usually find an answer in minutes....

SoupKitchen Wed 16-Jul-08 19:52:24

Right, It comes up in Finder just below Mac HD, But I don't seem to be able to access it.
Drag and drop did not worksad
How do I run it from utilities
I says Mac OS9 drivers not installed in utilities info

SoupKitchen Wed 16-Jul-08 19:55:59

Thanks for your support and help BTW, I really appreciate itsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now