Talk

Advanced search

My computer is constantly not responding, what is going on?

(11 Posts)
ComeOVeneer Mon 14-Jul-08 11:24:50

Apologies for my ineptitude with all this "computer".

For the last couple of days my computer keeps "freezing". IE I have windows internet explorer open and try to do something and it works fine, then suddenly doesn't respond and I have to "ned now", then the error report send message appears. Now I know this happens sometimes but it is happening 50-60 times a day!

What is it and what can I do about it?

southeastastra Mon 14-Jul-08 11:27:39

have you done virus scans?

ComeOVeneer Mon 14-Jul-08 11:31:32

Scans come back clear. It seems to be at its worst when I click on a link, or for example click on the log in at the top off the page, then it freezes and says its not responding.

It did it just now and I have to re-open a new window and log in by typing on a thread.

RubberDuck Mon 14-Jul-08 11:45:34

When was the last time you did a complete reinstall? Windows tends to get bloaty and sluggish after a while (used to do a reinstall every 6 months or so when I was using Windows, but I was a fairly heavy user - would say once a year is a good guideline).

Big things to remember before a reinstall:

- write down every program you currently use and make sure you have any registration keys etc that you need. Remember things like anti-virus/anti-spyware programs too.

- make sure you have all the drivers you installed with it (like for a camera or printer etc) and the original OS installation disks.

- make sure you back up all your data (in two separate places if possible)

- write down an order of what you need to install to get yourself up and running again as quickly as possible. I start with the OS (obviously) and get that patched right up, then install anti-virus/anti-spyware, then email/alternative browser and work from there.

- allow at least a full day to do it in.

- if you're not confident then get a techy to do it for you

ComeOVeneer Mon 14-Jul-08 11:47:25

Wierdly, I have just logged in through dd's account rather than my own (on the same computer obviously) and it is working fine.

ComeOVeneer Mon 14-Jul-08 13:10:56

I tell a lie it is just as bad. Funnily it is only if I click on a link or anything that opens another window it happens, any ideas?

ComeOVeneer Mon 14-Jul-08 13:28:41

Help. It is driving me crazy

RubberDuck Mon 14-Jul-08 13:34:44

<points up to previous question>

When did you last reinstall?

Also, in addition XP or Vista?

ComeOVeneer Mon 14-Jul-08 18:17:43

Sorry rubberduck. Computer is only 5 months old, so never reinstalled. Rest of Q is more for dh to answer rather than me. He has snaekded home sick and gone o bed whilst I was out with children, but when he has a mo/feels better I am going to let him see what he cn do. Thanks anyway.

RubberDuck Mon 14-Jul-08 18:36:56

Hmm... 5 months old I wouldn't have thought you'd have needed to reinstall then.

I had a google search and there do seem to be a few people with IE hanging issues. Knowing which OS will help narrow it down more

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Mon 14-Jul-08 18:39:16

are you running something like itunes or realplayer. both tend to kill my pc but then it is about 6 years old so that is not a big surprise. take it back to the shop under warranty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now