Talk

Advanced search

what is an 'IP' address???

(20 Posts)
jollyfolly Tue 23-Oct-07 20:55:26

am trying to set my wireless router thing up and it is asking for an ip address..... the instruction book is crap and now it is begining to do my head in!!!!

ScaryMonsterStories Tue 23-Oct-07 20:56:52

It is Internet Protocol address (I think).

Not sure how to find it out though on a normal computer....

jollyfolly Tue 23-Oct-07 20:59:06

why does computor language have to be so complicated!!!! thanks sms.... even though it has not helped much

ScaryMonsterStories Tue 23-Oct-07 21:00:16

seems to give it at the top.

And I believe it to be correct as I know my IP address for another reason

mamazon Tue 23-Oct-07 21:00:43

i am asking a mate right now...he is a techno geek

screaminghousewife Tue 23-Oct-07 21:00:47

It is an internet protocol address, think IIRC we found ours on our docs from our ISP (whoever provides your internet service).

jollyfolly Tue 23-Oct-07 21:03:38

wow sms ta for that will try the number now!!!! mamazon,wish i had a techno geek for a friend right now!

HubbleBubbleToilAndTrouble Tue 23-Oct-07 21:04:12

go to a DOS prompt ...

Start
Run
in the white space type CMD then press Enter
type in IPCONFIG /ALL
look for the line that gives your IP address it will be something like 10.xx.xx.xx
you can have between 1 and 3 digits between each dot

Drusilla Tue 23-Oct-07 21:05:21

Click Start and then type cmd, and then OK. A black box will open.
At the prompt (C:> ), type ipconfig and hit the Enter key. This will show you your computers IP address

HubbleBubbleToilAndTrouble Tue 23-Oct-07 21:05:28

jollyfolly , can I help you

ScaryMonsterStories Tue 23-Oct-07 21:05:28

Problem is I don't have a fixed IP address (I don't think). Am on AOL. This may be an issue for you & you may need to ask you ISP (Internet Service Provider) for a fixed IP address.

I don't really do geeky things, I don't do wireless so I am not 100% sure...I just knew what IP stood for which is why I answered.

Drusilla Tue 23-Oct-07 21:06:12

cross posts!

HubbleBubbleToilAndTrouble Tue 23-Oct-07 21:08:28

you don't need a fixed IP address just run a utility from www.no-ip.com that on start up updates your IP address for you to your ISP each time. It's free

SenoraPostrophe Tue 23-Oct-07 21:10:38

scareymonsterstroies - you're thinking of your external IP, which isn't usually the same as the one jollyfolly is talking about.

I'm afraid it sounds like you need a technician, jollyfolly. basically it needs to be assigned an ip address, but what that would be depends on your network setup.

ScaryMonsterStories Tue 23-Oct-07 21:20:38

Fair enough....I did say that my actual knowledge went as far as uncoding the IP abbreviation....

jollyfolly Tue 23-Oct-07 22:05:22

bugger..........now i am really confused. think i will take computor friendly local computor shop and pay to get someone to sort it out! sod pc world they told me it was easy.

dirk Thu 25-Oct-07 00:09:15

Doubt the computer shop will help too much. Tell us more about the problem. You clearly already have an internet connection; are you just trying to plug a wireless router into your network (what you're plugging it into would be helpful to know) so you can use a laptop or something without having it plugged in? Then you probably just need to tell the wireless router it should find its IP address automatically (there should be a recognisably-similarly-named setting, or the acronym DHCP somewhere on the settings page).

LuckyUnderpants Thu 25-Oct-07 11:39:41

computer languages arent so complicated if you know how to speak to them, its just like learning french, if you know how to speak it you can tell a french person to do something you want in French. Therefore if you know computer languages you can tell the computer to do something for you in a language it recognises IYSWIM hmm

As for IP addresses, it stands for internet protocol, and it is a unique address that certain electronic devices use in order to identify and communicate with each other on a computer network.

I realise this thread as probably moved on while ive been typing this grin hope my explanation wasnt too techy for you
<<slops off into the geeky corner>> grin

MrCSWS Sun 28-Oct-07 12:26:15

The following is a description of what is happening in the background.

IP Addresses are what actually runs the internet! when we go to any other site on the internet we are in fact talking to an IP Address, but for ease we use a name to communicate instead of the numbers.

for example, we we put "www.mumsnet.com" in an internet browser, the computer "translates" this into a set of four numbers separated with a dot (the IP address). in the example of mumsnet this gets converted to "213.161.73.140". it is of course easier to remember www.mumsnet.com than 213.161.73.140

the way this works is complicated, but in simple terms a global address list is kept of the link between name and number. this is called DNS (Domain Name System). when you ask for a site by name, this is what is looked up to find the correct IP Address.

this then will give you the "end point" of where you want to go, but you don't talk directly with the end address but you are "routed" through different addresses on the way. you can think of it as a chain where each request is passed to the next IP address in the chain. for this to happen, each device in the chain needs to know where to pass the message onto. to do this you enter in each device a "gateway" address which is the next point of call! this is very simplified, but i hope you get the idea.

normally in a home environment (when there are more than one machine), you have a adsl/cable modem connected to the outside world. this has an address in the normal xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx form. This is what the outside world sees as your IP Address. BUT it will also have another IP address which is internal to your house. normally this will start 192.168.xxx.xxx . this is the way you communicate to the modem. in the modem the request is passed from the internal address (192.168.xxx.xxx) to the external address and then out to the world!

finally, there is one more piece of the jigsaw that you might need to know. within a local network, there are two ways of giving out IP addresses to the devices/computers on the network. one way is to enter by had a unique IP Address on each device/computer on the network. This is called Static IP. or you can define one machine/device on the network to "give out" the Addresses to all the other machines, this is called DHCP. Normally DHCP is what is used. when you connect a machine to the network, it sends a message to the machines already on the network and asks if any of them can give it an IP Address, if one is found, then that machine gives the new machine an unused address from a list of addresses it has to give out.

when you install a wireless router in the chain (normally between your ADSL/Cable modem and the computers in the network), what you normally need to do is the following:

1. find out the IP address of the device (ADSL/Cable modem etc) which is talking to the outside world. if you connect to it by a cable already, you should be able to find it by running IPCONFIG on your machine (Windows PC Only) or looking at network properties. You are looking for "gateway address"

2. you then enter this address in the wireless router as the gateway address.

3. if the wireless router is asking for which IP address it should be (not the gateway), it is slightly more difficult as it is requesting a Static IP. the problem is that you must give it an address that is not already being used (if you modem has a DHCP service running, you need to find an address that is not on its list already). This can be tricky, as you need to be able to access the modem and look at its configuration.

i am struggling to explain how to set it up successfully, without knowing exactly what you have in your local network!

I am sorry i could not be more help

makeup123 Thu 13-Feb-14 11:12:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now