Talk

Advanced search

Connecting to the BT Home Hub. Has anyone found their connection is better via the USB port than the Ethernet one?

(19 Posts)
foxinsocks Thu 04-Oct-07 10:47:51

Before I go to the hassle of changing mine around wink.

We are connected via the ethernet port. But the computer is virtually unusable. It is SO annoying because we had a 'normal' modem before with BT and it worked fine.

The Home Hub works but the connection appears to stall. So you click on a page and 50% of the time it loads straight away, the other 50% it looks like it's about to load but it takes an additional 30-60 seconds (iyswim).

Now I know that doesn't sound much but both dh and I need to be able to connect to work from home and if that is happening on every page, it is a nightmare (also, things like bank and work connections can time out while you're waiting for it to load). It also stalls the Outlook and everything.

MrsMuddle Thu 04-Oct-07 11:35:26

I'm so excited to see this message! We recently moved to BT home hub, and as I can stick my hand out the kitchen window and literally touch a BT exchange I was told the connection would be super speedy.

BUT it's slower than it was before (when it was just BT internet) and the TV freezes and pixilates quite a lot.

I don't know what USB port or Ethernet are, but I'll watch this with interest to see if you get a reply from anyone who knows.

goingfor3 Thu 04-Oct-07 11:38:03

We have a bt home hub. I have no idea how it's connected but it was being really flaky and dp realised it was caused but our cordless phone and put up some sort of filter and it's perfect now. I relasie this doesn't help because I have no idea what he was talking about when he mentioned filter!

DoctorFrankenSquonk Thu 04-Oct-07 11:39:58

I also don't understand the ethernet and USB stuff... BUT we got a BT home hub and were told that we had excellent connectivity. We can see the neighbours protected wireless network, but not ours. DP bought a cheap router and plugged everything into there and it works fine.

Still can't get any realistic kind of internet access with the actual home hub.

But if you want to know technical reasons, you'll have to wait till dp gets home from work as I don't geddit blush

foxinsocks Thu 04-Oct-07 13:37:31

aaah all very interesting smile.

I have a few options.

1. Try the USB to see if it is any better
2. Switch back to the old modem for the main computer (and perhaps leave the Hub connected to the other phone jack for the wireless bit).

We have filters on both phone jacks but did you need a separate filter for the cordless phone goingfor3? (our cordless is currently plugged into one of the jacks with the filter on it).

MrsMuddle, that's exactly what we have found too!

So squonk, you have the home hub but don't use it to connect to the internet (have I got that right)?

DoctorFrankenSquonk Thu 04-Oct-07 13:39:17

yep fox... it's in a box on top of a bookcase.

foxinsocks Thu 04-Oct-07 13:47:28

what are you using to connect?

I can see us, sadly, going down that route soon if I can't sort this out grrrr.

DoctorFrankenSquonk Thu 04-Oct-07 14:18:40

erm... I'm sorry blush I don't understand the question.

foxinsocks Thu 04-Oct-07 14:20:28

was just wondering what you are using to get onto t'internet?

(growl at silly hub)

DoctorFrankenSquonk Thu 04-Oct-07 15:22:10

you mean like internet explorer/mozilla firefox?

Firefox

foxinsocks Fri 05-Oct-07 20:01:22

nah I meant your modem or whatever

OK, just in case anyone is still interested wink

I have disconnected the BT home hub

Have reconnected the old Alcatel speed touch USB modem

the stalling problem seems to have gone (but I must admit, I'm not sure our internet speed is as fast as it was pre Home Hub but we'll see)

it's annoying because we were always on their top package but 'had' to be downgraded when they reorganised all their broadband!

DoctorFrankenSquonk Fri 05-Oct-07 20:02:37

we use the router thingy that dp put in

foxinsocks Fri 05-Oct-07 20:05:04

ah sorry, you did say that further down

tis very annoying because I can't plug the home hub in the other filter because it stops this modem from working so I don't think we have wireless anymore (sob)

arrghhh

may have to seek out another solution but at least this is working for the time being

DoctorFrankenSquonk Fri 05-Oct-07 20:06:38

we have wireless no problem with dp's laptop, but can't get the pc to be wireless.

Not a real problem because from the way it's set up in our house it may as well be wired!

foxinsocks Fri 05-Oct-07 20:07:59

lol

we don't really know what we're talking about, do we grin

DoctorFrankenSquonk Fri 05-Oct-07 20:08:46

haven't a clue!

grin

MrsMuddle Fri 05-Oct-07 20:35:06

Well, you lost me away back at the fourth posting! wink

foxinsocks Fri 05-Oct-07 20:36:59

it's much better now it seems (the connection)

however, if I suddenly disappear for a few days, you know I really screwed it up grin

ProfessorGrammaticus Fri 05-Oct-07 20:38:59

MIne is BT hub via USB. Works fine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now