Talk

Advanced search

Leaking rechargeable camera batteries - some questions

(4 Posts)
mylittlefreya Wed 29-Aug-07 18:43:45

It seems that the rechargeable batteries for our digital camera are leaking. Is that possible? I used it only yesterday and it was fine then. What has happened to it?

What leaks? How do I dispose of them? What did I do wrong, so I can do it right next time.

Sorry if this is the wrong sort of question to ask in here.

mylittlefreya Wed 29-Aug-07 18:44:15

I mean - what is the chemical that is leaking, as in how harmful is it, etc.

AttilaTheMum Wed 29-Aug-07 18:54:54

What type are they? Are you sure they were rechargeable, as ordinary batteries often leak if recharged in an ordinary charger. The most common type nowadays is Ni MH - i found this on a duracell website:
1. Inhalation Respiratory (and eye) irritation may occur if fumes are released due to heat or
an abundance of leaking batteries.
2. Ingestion Irritation, including caustic burns to the internal/external mouth areas, may occur.
3. Skin Contact
Irritation, including caustic burns/injury, may occur.
4. Eye Contact Irritation, including caustic burns/injury, may occur.

I'd wrap them up, put them somewhere safe, & check your local authority website to see if they have any recommendations for battery disposal.

mylittlefreya Thu 30-Aug-07 07:25:32

Thank you! They say rechargeable on the side, definitely. I will do as you suggest and get some new ones, or maybe some lithium long lasting ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now