Talk

Advanced search

Can someone tell me what's taking up all this space on my hard drive please!?

(19 Posts)
Boredveryverybored Sun 15-Jul-07 15:27:03

Am on a laptop and don't have much storage space anyway.
Have just done major clearup to try and make more space cos I kept getting messages saying the disc was too full.
Have deleted all progs that I don't need, all internet history, temp files, all docs I don't need etc.

So now running I only have what I need to actually make the thing work, plus about 1gb of pics, half of that of music, and from going through my program files around the same in programs.
And yet it's saying that I'm using 40GB of storage...where?? how?? what is it!!

Its driving me a bit mad not knowing whats taking up the space,so has anyone got any good ideas or suggestions for what it might be??

WeasleyWonka Sun 15-Jul-07 15:35:54

Am sure a techie will be along but have you defraged (if that doesn't sound too personal )?

To open Disk Defragmenter, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Defragmenter.

HTH

Boredveryverybored Sun 15-Jul-07 15:41:06

Umm no I havn't..have no idea what that is! (totally crap at this stuff!)
Shall go do that now and see if it helps

Thanks!

Boredveryverybored Sun 15-Jul-07 15:54:52

Ooohhh thats ade it worse!! Now I've got even less space available.

TranquilaManana Sun 15-Jul-07 16:02:33

you might need a registry cleanup program

TranquilaManana Sun 15-Jul-07 16:04:28

can you store all the stuff you love/need (pics, music, documents) on something seperate and then take it somewhere for some radical harddrive cleanup or something?

(btw i have no idea what these things really mean/entail, i am just living with a man whose entire career has been in computers)

butterbeer Sun 15-Jul-07 16:04:48

I assume you've emptied your recycle bin?

You probably need someone to actually take a look at it -- whereabouts are you?

Boredveryverybored Sun 15-Jul-07 16:22:16

Am in the North West. My brother could look at it for me I suppose. His life has also been computers! lol
It's just bugging me, such a huge amount of space taken and not being able to find a single thing that's taking it!
Ahh well, will just let someone who actually knows what they're doing look at it..but I bet it's something really abvious and will just give him another excuse to laugh at my complete inability to use my own computer

Katy44 Sun 15-Jul-07 17:04:45

can recommend TreeView, gives you everything on your hard disk in order of size
Can't find the site, but will keep looking

Katy44 Sun 15-Jul-07 17:07:49

can't find it but this might be useful
http://www.pcmech.com/article/windirstat--analyze-your-disk-usage/
I haven't tried it

Browny Sun 15-Jul-07 17:15:36

BVVB - Hi, sorry to hijack your thread, I haven't a clue myself about computers, I leave all my p.c. problems for my brother to fix too!. Anyway, have you got a date yet for your move? .

Boredveryverybored Sun 15-Jul-07 17:17:56

Hi Browny
Nope just waiting on a report from surveyor..whole thing is taking forever! I'm getting really annoyed at solicitors and very very impatient! I want to be in there now

Browny Sun 15-Jul-07 22:35:05

I'd keep making a nuisence of myself if I were you, ring your solicitors twice a day, they'll soon shift themselves just to get rid of you!.

bookwormtailmum Sun 15-Jul-07 22:46:19

Get an external hard-drive and copy everything onto there - you can get one for about £50 in PC World. It plugs into the USB port and will really boost your pc storage capacity then you've always got another copy of everything as long as you remember to copy stuff over from time to time. Your brother should be able to help you with that . I've got music files on mine just to keep the memory free on the main laptop for 'proper' files. Don't worry - I'm no geek since my dp sorted mine out for me. All I had to do was buy the thing and transport it plus laptop to his flat .

Katy44 Mon 16-Jul-07 08:16:12

this is it
called TreeSize, not Treeview as i thought
Download and install it, it's really easy to use and will tell you what's using your hard drive

WeasleyWonka Mon 16-Jul-07 15:59:11

BvvB - have just caught up with this thread and am mortified that my suggestion appears to have compounded your problem. I'm soooo sorry !!! I've never had a problem with it before and, indeed, it seems to speed things up when they've been running a bit slow. Please forgive me - it was meant with the best of intentions.

Boredveryverybored Tue 17-Jul-07 00:12:28

Oh don't worry about it ww I'm sure it's just my pc being a pain in the arse!
Thanks for that link Katy, just getting it now.

UnquietDad Wed 18-Jul-07 09:05:10

Have you cleared out all your temporary files?

throckenholt Wed 18-Jul-07 09:10:47

have you run a recent virus check ? It does sound odd that you have next to nothing on it but something is using up 40GB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now