Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to run SKYPE?

(8 Posts)
KerryMumbledore Sun 15-Jul-07 12:07:30

Other than downloading the software that is?

Can anyone walk me through?

Can I do a speaker phone type thing or do we need a headset and only one person can talk at a time?

Thanks!

McDreamy Sun 15-Jul-07 12:11:20

As long as your computer has a built in microphone you can make and recieve calls, if you have a camera you can do video calls too! Do you use broadband?

KerryMumbledore Sun 15-Jul-07 12:14:46

No built in mic.

Need to get one of those?

I use broadband.

Do you know of a decent, CHEAP camera?

McDreamy Sun 15-Jul-07 12:16:28

We have a logitech camera which is just fine although we use MSN to make our calls not skype, same principle though. It's really great when you get it going.

bananabump Sun 15-Jul-07 12:16:50

Your best bet is to get a headset with headphones and mic built in. No, you don't have to talk one at a time like on a radio, it's juts like using the phone.

If you want a speaker phone effect that's simple enough, what you'll find is that most headsets have two jacks that plug into the back of the computer, one for the headphones, and one for the microphone.

All you would need to do is figure out which was which, plug in the microphone into the microphone jack, but don't plug in the headphones. Then plug in your pc speakers into the headphone slot on the back of the pc, and you will be able to hear your caller through the speakers instead.

KerryMumbledore Sun 15-Jul-07 12:21:53

Well just ran the test. Can't hear my recording as I don't have a mic but recording from Skype was a bit broken up. Would that be due to crap speakers built into monitor and should I buy better speakers? Would that make a difference?

When you talk on Skype does it break up generally?

McDreamy Sun 15-Jul-07 12:23:34

Depends where you are, we always have a crap reception with Skype hence the decision to use MSN

bananabump Sun 15-Jul-07 12:25:46

It can break up a bit, generally it depends on the quality of the connection on both people's computers but in my experience it's usually pretty good. You might want to close any particularly taxing programs on your pc before doing it as they could make it stutter a bit if your pc isn't very whizzy (internet etc should be fine)

I don't really understand what you mean by you running the test, do you mean the microphone test or the headphones test?

Get thee to woolys before it shuts, as I recall they do fairly cheap headsets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now