Talk

Advanced search

Any web gurus about? LittleLapin? MorningPaper? Anyone else?

(14 Posts)
SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 27-Jun-07 22:08:49

I built DPs website, and have put in a link to a 3rd party which we have been advised to change to a new URL.

I know I saw it the other day, I have come on today to chnage it and I can't for the life of me find the link I need to change. Is there any way to search for a URL which is behind a hyperlink in a whole website? Can I even do this page by page? At the moment I am convinced I was dreaming the other day (which I may of course have been!!!).

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 27-Jun-07 22:19:48

Bump...MN is moving FAST tonight.

uberalice Wed 27-Jun-07 22:29:00

Do you have copies of the files on your PC? Can't you just do a Search?
1 Open My Computer and navigate to the folder above the one which contains the website.
2 Right click on the folder which contains the website, and choose Search...
3 In the box for "A word of phrase in the file" put some text which you expect to find on that page (the company name, perhaps?).

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 27-Jun-07 22:31:22

No don't have them on PC I'm afraid. If I get desperate I might copy them to my PC. Although if I copy the html across I guess I could search for the URL? Was hoping there might be a less faffy way

I have searched on the page I thought it was on, for the text I thought should be there but I can't find it....

uberalice Wed 27-Jun-07 22:33:53

Have you tried googling for it?

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 27-Jun-07 22:38:36

I need to google for the URL, not the text that is on the page (as I am not sure what the text would be. ALso the URL is in several places (is a government agency), but needs to be changed only in one place as most of their services are unchanged - but one is.

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 27-Jun-07 22:39:15

Does google pick up hte URLs rather than the text that displays?

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Wed 27-Jun-07 22:40:10

Just ignore me...of course google picks up the URLs as it is text searching the html doc isn't it?

Will have a look in the morning...it is bedtime I feel

littlelapin Thu 28-Jun-07 12:33:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Thu 28-Jun-07 13:36:27

Nooo

I am guessing I can do it by doing a text search in hte html in notepad - I just havn't got round to it

<nudge nudge <<whispers>> do you want some bonus points>

littlelapin Thu 28-Jun-07 14:01:47

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Thu 28-Jun-07 14:11:16

It was built with online (crap) software....so now I just amend the html in cpanel when I need to rather than using the software.

I will try searching the 2 pages I think it should be on in notepad and if I still have problems I will email - ta

<actually I may mail anyway if that is OK, there is something I would like to tweak that I am not sure how to do in the html>

littlelapin Thu 28-Jun-07 14:11:56

SconesandMajesticSandwiches Thu 28-Jun-07 14:13:09

Have to try and encourage DD3 to sleep now...will look at it later tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now