Talk

Advanced search

Super confused by my Vodafone V8 smart phone after years of using an iphone

(6 Posts)
hmcAsWas Wed 14-Feb-18 14:31:22

So tired of the inbuilt redundancy in iphones when my iPhone 6 conked out rather than buy an iPhone 8 I got a Vodafone V8 smart phone....and there are aspects of it I don't get....

So on the photo I uploaded what is the difference between Messaging (icon on the second row from the bottom, far left) and Message+ (icon on the third from from the bottom far right)? I'm buggered if I understand!

Then on Messaging I can see headline messages but when I click to open them I get "Can't compose. Not default SMS app"...but it seems okay on Message+

Do I go ahead and delete Messaging then?

Plus I don't really get the distinction between SMS and MMS?

And on my contact list where I have added a new contact I seem to have several duplicates for the same people with different colour icons next to the duplicates (orange, purple, green etc). Which do I delete?

I have to say iphones are far more intuitive, especially if you are 50 and not very tech savvy.....

Help!

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-Feb-18 14:49:15

Oh no!

The message+ is the Vodafone message app - see here: www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/apps/vodafone-message-plus/

It must must be set as the default message app, which is maybe why you can't use the other one. Not sure what that is however...

SMS is a basic, text-only text that goes over the phone network. These are the ones that you typically get 'free' in a contract or bundle. A MMS is a text with a picture, including an emoji. Some phones convert old school emoji that you can type with punctuation -- like :-) -- to pretty emoji that show up,as pictures, hence a MMS. These are often chargeable.

Whatsapp, Viber, Facebook messenger etc are different forms of Internet - based message services that don't use up your text allocation. NB you probably know that bit.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-Feb-18 14:50:47

I no idea why it says must must. I meant one must, as it, ^it is probably set as the default'...

Dammit, and my old school emoji got crossed through too :-(

hmcAsWas Wed 14-Feb-18 15:16:23

Thanks Spotted - that clarifies it a bit smile

cdtaylornats Fri 16-Feb-18 23:47:25

I doubt it'll let you delete Messenger

hmcAsWas Mon 19-Feb-18 15:00:29

You are right, it didn't cd

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: