Talk

Advanced search

I want zero inbox <sulk>

(10 Posts)
lljkk Tue 06-Feb-18 22:10:27

And not the 30 items currently in there. But I need them as easy-to-find reminders, right now. Weanhh!!!!
It's driving me crazy.
Stuff i ordered hasn't yet arrived.
Things I can only sort out in daylight hours, not sure when or how.
Things to make decisions about.
Places I'm going to this week or next.
Stuff I need refunds for.

Especially all the messages about items ordered online. I thought mail order shopping was supposed to make my life easier?! Hymph!!

Work inbox is only about 8 items at moment, thank goodness. Private life feels like chaos.

cdtaylornats Wed 07-Feb-18 11:15:09

Can't you organise them into folders?

lljkk Wed 07-Feb-18 19:31:55

Then I'd have to click around each of the folders daily to see what are the unresolved issues, they'd merely be categorised unresolved issues so more clicking to find each one. Check for job chains still in progress, items not yet arrived deliveries, unusual tasks I have to do later this week & need to keep remembering that that time is already booked, library book not yet found but also needs renewing (must go look for that now), etc. It is easier to have one place for long list of one-off items. Irk! 34 at the moment. Sob

How do other people keep their lists of expected deliveries and library books now due and DS footie training changed evenings and so on?

Iggity Wed 07-Feb-18 19:45:06

You are kidding? 30 emails?
I receive over a 100 a day at work and not minor things but most quite significant requiring considered responses etc in between umpteen meetings.
If you are struggling and you have outlook, arrange as tasks or to do and you can then quite clearly see what is due each day.

NotN0wBernard Wed 07-Feb-18 19:50:18

Maybe set up a system that only involves email as last resort? I have a post it notes app on my phone and have a daily list of shit that needs doing that gets added to as emails come in. Anything that needs doing another day goes as a reminder in my diary app. If something doesn't get done then it gets bumped to the next days' list. I then delete each email as a task is completed unless I need a future record of it. Juggling lots of balls when you (rather i) have shocking memory requires a foolproof method! Hope you find one that works for you.

lljkk Wed 07-Feb-18 20:09:38

yes, memory like a sieve.

A lot of things are open time point.
I don't know when items will arrive.
I don't know when refund confirmations will arrive.
I can't make them happen any sooner.

I do know when I'm travelling next week: I don't want to have to remember where I filed away the booking confirmation, though.

A few things are specific times/days, but I am afraid I'll forget or double book myself if I don't keep reminding myself those one-off events are happening. They are in diary, too, but I am terrible for compartmentalising my life & forgetting to check the diary for every tiny thing.

I know I need to order that foreign currency, but I can't decide how best to do it (long story, people politics involved, need to remind myself to keep pondering)....

I found the library book, now need to remember to return it (can't do until Friday) & renew the other book still out. Must remind DS about guitar, too (tomorrow). etc. The emails are the only clues I have to keep trying to remember it all.

BigGreenOlives Wed 07-Feb-18 21:42:59

Can’t you just search your inbox, so if I’m looking for the tickets I booked I just type into search the name of the show or destination & up they come.

LtGreggs Wed 07-Feb-18 21:45:24

Read the book "Getting Things Done". It's a classic. 30 emails is really very good - so you'll probably already be doing a lot of what this method recommends, but this will sort you out completely.

LtGreggs Wed 07-Feb-18 21:46:12

For the to-do list, I use Evernote - but use whatever suits you.

cdtaylornats Wed 07-Feb-18 21:47:34

For things involving dates, deadlines etc. If only there was a handy app that let you put in lists marked by date and time that would message or email you - like Calendar

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: