Talk

Advanced search

iPhone X

(21 Posts)
BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 11:00:54

Does anyone have one? Would you recommend?

I’m out of contract and current iPhone (6s) is on its way out.

I’m between an 8+ or the X, either one would be the 256gb capacity.

Does anyone have any recent experience of either? I’m a bit concerned that x may still be buggy? But otoh I’m a bit concerned the 8 May date quickly now the X generation is out.

Thanks!

BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 14:59:02

Afternoon hopeful bump

Kannet Mon 22-Jan-18 15:04:30

I have one and I love it. It's so fast

Gizlotsmum Mon 22-Jan-18 15:05:05

I looked at the 8 and x. I couldn’t justify the extra for the x for essentially a better camera and Face ID. ( or at least that was the difference I could see.) I got the 8. It’s very slippy so I need to get a decent case

BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 15:16:06

Thank you both for the replies!

kannet is the five id easy to use? It’s the main thing (other than price) that puts me off? I do like my home button.

Thanks gizlots that’s pretty much my thinking... but I’m still a bit torn. I generally go late on upgrading to the latest version but this time with two I actually have to think about it!

BootsAndCatsAndBootsAndCats Mon 22-Jan-18 15:36:10

Ive just upgraded to an x from a 6. I really like it - it's very fast and I like the camera.

I'm hoping to keep it going for about 4 years so hopefully it'll last!

MirandaWest Mon 22-Jan-18 15:37:45

DSs friend has one. Friend well known for having many gadgets grin

DS says he can't see what's so great about it - am quite glad he doesn't have any hopes for one grin

BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 16:09:15

How is the face recognition to unlock boots? Is it annoying? I would be wanting a good couple of years min.

Haha, I think I’m a bit like your son miranda, but as I won’t get a new one for a long time, I don’t want to be left behind.

Kannet Mon 22-Jan-18 16:23:19

The Face ID is excellent.

BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 16:26:52

Thanks smile will go and have a proper play tomorrow I think

Itsjanuary Mon 22-Jan-18 16:32:06

I have one and like it - battery lasts way longer than my old iPhone - also seems to be better in the cold. It takes a bit of getting used to but love the face recognition. DH has been playing with it an now surprise surprise has decided his phone needs an upgrade 😂

FartsMeanHearts Mon 22-Jan-18 16:33:06

I have one it’s brilliabt.

Face ID works all the time.
It’s fast and the camera is superb

mehhh Mon 22-Jan-18 16:37:57

I have it, I love it... I wasn't bothered about it I would have gone for the 8 but dp bought it me as my Christmas present and it's the best thing ever!!

I wasn't bothered about Face ID as I thought it would be weird but it's not... and the portrait option on the camera is amazing I've got some beautiful pictures of dd on it, I was considering buying a camera to take some good pictures of her but the x does it for me it's fab

mehhh Mon 22-Jan-18 16:39:19

The Face ID works so well as well--- and if you're upgrading anyway I'd go for the X

BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 16:46:52

Thank you all! Swaying to the X now!

You know the Face ID? Do you actually see yourself every time? I work from home a lot and the thought of seeing no make up, messy hair face every 10 mins does not fill me with joy!

toomanydicksonthedancefloor1 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:02:27

I'm a bit late to the party now, but I would also recommend the X. I have had every iPhone model since the 3G.

The X feels so fast and the extra screen size means I now barely use my iPad mini (except as an expensive Kindle!). The 2 year old iPad feels so dated and slow!

The camera has loads of fancy filters and effects and lots of fancy technical gubbins. Can't tell you much about that except the photos look nice for selling stuff on eBay.

The best thing is the face recognition which for me works every time, even in the dark. No, actually I tell a lie, it let me down once but then I realised I was wearing a clay face mask ha ha.

I didn't like the fingerprint thing on the old one as mine was a bit iffy. I've always got my bare hands in bleach and cleaning products which seem to make my finger tips really smooth, not sure if that affected it?

In my opinion, the X is awesome and worth every penny. Go for it if you can afford to.

toomanydicksonthedancefloor1 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:06:51

To answer another of your questions re. the Face ID.

No you don't see yourself (thank god!). Just a little smiley face logo thing when it does it. And it's really quick.

I found I didn't miss the home button after about half a day with it. I read an article about how to use the gestures on a tech website first and then I was away. Now the home button on the iPad feels very outdated.

However I should also say, my husband doesn't like the face recognition. He doesn't miss the home button, but likes the fingerprint thing. (He doesn't have his hands in bleach and cleaning toilets though........ that's another thread altogether though!).

Hope that helps. Xx

BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 17:13:36

Thank you very much toomanydicks seeing haggard me 20x per day was the thing I was most worried about!

toomanydicksonthedancefloor1 Mon 22-Jan-18 18:41:05

Totally agree - I avoid FaceTime for that very reason!

SadieHH Mon 22-Jan-18 20:41:34

I love mine. The Face ID works perfectly once you realise you have to hold the phone far enough away that it can actually see your face! grin I've also had every iPhone model and this is the best so far. I gave my 7+ to DH and now I struggle to use it because I'm so used to swiping up instead of pressing the home button. It becomes second nature within hours.

BusterTheBulldog Mon 22-Jan-18 21:48:50

Thanks sadie I think I have been swayed! 😬

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: