Talk

Advanced search

Any MacBook fans? I'm thinking of jumping ship...

(4 Posts)
4yoniD Tue 31-Oct-17 19:28:46

Currently I have an ageing slow windows 10 laptop. Can't blame the poor thing, it was cheap. But I'm thinking of moving to the dark side and would appreciate advice/a hand hold...

On my computer I have photos, word/excel docs and loads of scanned pdfs (I scan all my paperwork). I want a local (ie hard drive) copy I can browse, FAST!, and I want it backed up to a cloud. Plus I want to copy/paste it all to usb (second backup), so I need it all in 1 or 2 places to get it all easily. I have OneDrive at the moment so keep everything in my OneDrive folder.

Will a MacBook browse photos and pdfs FAST?

Can I store all my documents in a folder and use the equivalent of windows explorer to view and copy to USB drives?

I think the last one rules out an iPad Pro, and wanting to store all my docs/photos on the device rules out chromebooks, and wanting to open photos fast seems to rule out windows. Does that leave a MacBook?

12thmonkey Thu 02-Nov-17 10:30:38

Both windows laptops and mac's can handle the above easily. You have to consider other things.

Budget:
macs hold their value much better than windows machines but they cost a truck load more.

Manufacturer:
Apple make macs so the hardware / software experience really is awesome, Microsoft don't make all windows laptops so picking a cheap laptop with super awesome windows isn't a great idea, basically chose the manufacturer carefully.

Other uses:
What else are you planning on using it for. Software is pretty universalacross devices, but when it comes to creativity macs are second to none.

Personally i learned my trade on a windows machine and use them for work every day but i wouldn't buy anything other than a mac.

They cost a fortune, i bought my 7 years ago for £800 second hand. It still boots in 10 seconds and has no issues what so ever touch wood. It handles pdf's much better than windows which always seems to require some additional software or plug-ins that macs don't need. Image handling is far superior than windows too. Once you get used to the touch pad you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

butterfly56 Thu 02-Nov-17 17:36:22

If you get the chance go to your nearest Apple store and speak to the tech guys....really helpful and a great experience!

ApplesTheHare Thu 02-Nov-17 17:49:42

IT tech here. I love my MacBook but wouldn't pay current prices. The newest top of the line HP Spectres are fantastic and much better value. Windows laptops can be just as good, but are commonly shite because people think 300 quid is enough to get a decent machine. Whatever you decide, look for something with the following spec and you'll be golden:

Processor - Intel I5 minimum
RAM (memory) – 8gb minimum
Hard Drive - 256gb and go for a Solid State drive every time for speed and durability

You get what you pay for in terms of how long they last. Hope you find something you like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now