Talk

Advanced search

Google Home or Amazon Echo?

(22 Posts)
Casz Sun 29-Oct-17 11:23:54

Looking at Google Home Mini and Amazon Echo Dot for Christmas for DB.
Any recommendations as to which is better?
What apps or gadgets work well with them?

DB uses Windows/Android not iOS on phone and laptop, if that makes a difference.

MissConductUS Sun 29-Oct-17 11:38:22

I've had the Echo Dot for almost a year and it's brilliant. I have external speakers plugged into it and mostly use it for news and streaming Spotify and radio broadcasts. I really don't know anything about the Google device but the Echo is a winner.

Apple23 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:46:43

Thank you.

I'd kind of decided on the Echo, then saw an ad for Google Home and wondering if it might be better.

CountessDraculaofGroantham Sun 29-Oct-17 18:19:21

We have Google home and love it, it’s so easy to use and we also stream music and radio etc.

MissConductUS Sun 29-Oct-17 22:05:10

This article takes a pretty detailed look at how they compare:

www.businessinsider.com/amazon-echo-vs-google-home-2017-10/#amazon-echo-dot-vs-google-home-mini-2

W0rriedMum Sun 29-Oct-17 22:07:45

There is a new Echo Plus out next week, which is a cross between an echo and a home hub. I've pre-ordered so will let you know!

MissConductUS Sun 29-Oct-17 22:22:49

The Echo Plus has been out in the US for several months and is covered in the review I posted the link to.

I've always been curious about home hubs but never knew where to start with them.

W0rriedMum Mon 30-Oct-17 09:11:20

MissConductUSA - I've bought one light bulb purely for the enjoyment of saying "Alexa, turn the hall light on" smile

Whether we get past this momentous event, I will report back .

Apple23 Mon 30-Oct-17 22:05:45

Thanks all. Will read the article.

Might by myself one at the same time. Can you programme any phrase to operate lights etc.? I now really want to be able to say, "Let there be light" and have the hall light turn on.

Apple23 Mon 30-Oct-17 22:06:38

Buy not by. Auto-correct!!!

WeAllHaveWings Tue 31-Oct-17 21:59:55

We have considered an Amazon Echo for Ds for Christmas but as this is how successful we are with Hey Siri Scottish voice recognition we probably won’t try Alexa.

MiaowTheCat Wed 01-Nov-17 14:15:38

DH has a broad Geordie accent and often ends up getting very exasperated with voice recognition technology - but Alexa can understand him fairly well.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 01-Nov-17 14:22:43

I think the thing that could be the clincher is being already hooked into Google or Amazon worlds - the Alexa can automatically buy on Amazon, and is obviously linked up to Amazon music etc. Whereas the Google one wil clinch it if you're a big user of Google calendar et al.

I have... one of each as I bought one, and won the other. Both are similar but I prefer the Google one as we ask it lots of facty-type questions and it deals with that better.

Apple23 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:13:11

Thank you. Think I'm verging towards the Alexa.
Can you choose the 'wake' command for Alexa?

MiaowTheCat Thu 02-Nov-17 10:22:18

You can pick the wake word from a limited range - it's Amazon/Echo/Alexa/Computer

TwoBlueFish Wed 15-Nov-17 20:07:41

If you’re asking questions then the google mini is probably better, it also looks nicer. I was looking at the mid range google home and new amazon echo and think the amazon sounds better. I have an echo first generation and really do like it but I resort to google voice on my phone for certain questions.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Wed 15-Nov-17 20:11:05

We have 3 Google homes and one Google mini.
You can get Google homes for £79 at the moment. If you buy it from Maplins then you also get a voucher to use in December.
The minis are one £35 now.

We’ve just bought another one for the spare room.

It operates our lights and thermostat. It is our radio and all our music. I love it.

Also, Amazon are utter cunts.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Wed 15-Nov-17 20:14:02

Oh, Google also knows who you are so you can say ‘hey google, what is in my calendar today’ and she will tell you.

Might by myself one at the same time. Can you programme any phrase to operate lights etc.? I now really want to be able to say, "Let there be light" and have the hall light turn on.

I think so. DH has programmed the Home to turn the bedroom lights off when you say ‘hey Google, good night’

pinkingshears Wed 15-Nov-17 21:33:38

Can I ask what features the Google Home has that the Mini doesnt to make it worth 3x the price?

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Wed 15-Nov-17 22:33:47

The difference is the size of speaker.
The Home is quite loud and with a decent range. The mini is quite small and tinny. It’s not bad but the Home is much better n

BrassicaBabe Fri 17-Nov-17 23:18:27

I’ve just bought the Google one. Kids are 6yo so they can ask it the questions that they ask me and I don’t know the answer to. “Hey Google, where is heaven?” Yeah Google off you go....

It’s going to be a “family” Christmas present. But I like a bit of tech to play with so it’s going to be hard to resist!

WeAllHaveWings Sat 18-Nov-17 15:02:58

The google home one is reduced now in curry’s £51 off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now