Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is Google Docs the way to go?

(4 Posts)
margaritasbythesea Sun 29-Oct-17 07:43:44

I have just bought a new, very cheap laptop after years with the same one and I find that the world has changed when it comes to the microsoft office programmes. I had office installed on my laptop via a disc which I owned. Now, it all seems to be subscriptions which is pissing me off as it seems far more expensive than before.

I have a vague idea about things like Google docs. Is this the way to go now? Or do I get caught up in constantly having to upgrade that too?

Thanks for your guidance. I swear it is only seven years since I bought my last laptop but everything has changed!

GilligansKitchenIsland Sun 29-Oct-17 07:59:17

I think it depends what you'll be using it for. I have a Chromebook, so I only really use Google drive (the suite of Google docs, drawings and spreadsheets). I really like it, and find the layout much more intuitive than newer versions of Word. I also like that you can share documents with others and edit them together in real time, rather than having to email edited versions of a Word document back and forth. And as long as you have internet access it auto-saves to the cloud every few seconds, so you never have to worry about remembering to save or losing your work. (If you're not constantly connected to the internet it's quite straightforward to set it up for offline use - it'll just save to your computer instead and then sync to the cloud once you're back online.)
The downsides I've found are that if someone sends you a Word document and you open it in Google drive sometimes the formatting changes. Not for paragraphs of prose, but if it's something complex with lots of tables and tabs, images inset into the text etc. Also it doesn't have the "track changes" feature that Word has, so if you use that a lot then you'll definitely notice its absence in Google docs.

margaritasbythesea Sun 29-Oct-17 08:10:01

Thanks. I do do editing of word documents but without tables usually. Perhaps I just need to try it and see. I also want it for DD who is getting her first computer at Christmas. PErhaps it would be confusing for her as Word is so dominant.

I hate all this subscription nonsense though. I want to own what I own!

I did see on an american site links to the microsoft site where you could buy single elements of the word suite, like powerpoint, as a one off. I can´t seem to find a UK version though. I really only need powerpoint and word, so that would be ideal if I could only work it out.

cdtaylornats Mon 30-Oct-17 08:17:55

Libreoffice - it is free and looks like MSOffice

www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now