Talk

Advanced search

can't open htm files -why would this be ? could sender have deliberately made them unreadable ????

(8 Posts)
sunnyhills Fri 27-Oct-17 07:33:02

and is there any hope of opening them ?

Received a number of attachments in an email .Can open the PDF ones ,not the ones ending htm .

These are long long awaited and requested from a non UK solicitor and should contain important info which for a long time has been witheld .We think there is a time limit to the issue we are discussing and that the slcr is time wasting .
So it's hard not to think that the files have been deliberately sent in an unreadable format .I'm clueless about such things and don't even know if that's possible .

Any advice ??

Imstickingwiththisone Fri 27-Oct-17 07:43:37

Can you select the programme you are using to open it? You need to choose whatever web browser you use. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I'm also not very tech but at least I've bumped your thread grin

sunnyhills Fri 27-Oct-17 07:53:46

Thanks Imsticking ,all comments gratefully received !

Yes I can choose ,I've tried everything without success .

sunnyhills Fri 27-Oct-17 07:56:42

I don't know if this makes sense but when I say I can't open them ,maybe that's not correct .

They open ,but there's nothing there except a line saying
virus free www.avast.com .

kooshbin Fri 27-Oct-17 08:47:41

Have you tried using a basic text editor such as WordPad or Notepad?

sunnyhills Fri 27-Oct-17 08:54:19

I tried Notepad .

And also ,after googling ,opened in Chrome and in the "print" option saved in PDF . Because that was a suggestion .

But there's nothing there . Well ,there's the one line virus checker .

JennyTaylior Fri 27-Oct-17 08:57:33

Depending on your email client, the .htm files may simply be a signature, website of the sender and contact details. You know, the stuff you put at the bottom of an email/letter. Some email clients turn them into htm attachments. There’s nothing there, really.

I would suggest the pdf files are the only actual documents you need. If there is something missing, get back in touch with the sender.

sunnyhills Fri 27-Oct-17 10:53:21

Jenny I think you're correct .I've looked at the size of the "empty" attachments and they're only 2kb and 1 kb ,so guessing they didn't contain anything to see !
The trouble is that I have no faith at all that the sender is being open and honest with us ,not relating the whole truth/picture .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now