Talk

Advanced search

I NEED a smart phone recommendation (NOT IPhone)

(15 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Sat 21-Oct-17 11:56:29

Can’t afford an IPhone - must be under £100 as I’m still paying £18 a month for data and I want to put his current sim in it

It’s for DH - all he cares about is Email and Google Maps. He’s a teacher and he needs constant email polling as that’s how they all communicate urgent behaviour issues.

And Google Maps for him to get home.

I only know about iPhones and he’s always had my old iPhones (the iPhone 6 died after he’d had it a few months - no reason, Apple say it’s old technology hmm)

My current one (a 7) isn’t due for an upgrade for 18 months.

So cheap but sturdy.

HorlicksBunny Sat 21-Oct-17 12:02:52

Samsung Galaxy S models - plenty of second hand ones on ebay, see what there is within your budget. S4s are going for under £100, S5s go for around £120/150.

I only bid on 2nd hand phones that are unlocked and come complete with box and charger.

tribpot Sat 21-Oct-17 12:06:51

I'd go with a Moto G3 - ds had one as his first smartphone and would still be using it except that it didn't have a Gyro in it for Pokemon Go. Unlikely to be a significant concern for your DH!

LaurieFairyCake Sat 21-Oct-17 12:14:17

Fantastic Trib, that’s the sort of thing I mean

LaurieFairyCake Sat 21-Oct-17 12:15:00

Horlicks thanks flowers - really want new so if it dies I can return it

Galena55 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:17:23

No need to pay more than £100 for a decent new smartphone.

I have just purchased one for my step-son (and he is fussy with his phones) - he says that it is perfectly good and is very pleased with it.

The model is ULEPHONE S8 PRO and you can buy one on Amazon or Ebay for about £85 brand new. Hope this helps.

Afterthestorm Sat 21-Oct-17 12:23:31

Maybe a bit over £100 now but I highly recommend the Wileyfox. British made and two year warranty, only available through Amazon I think. I love mine and makes me realise what a rip off I-phones are!

xyzandabc Sat 21-Oct-17 12:27:51

I have Moto G and Gplus now for 5/6 years now and it's a great phone. With giffgaff £10 a month bundle. I can change the bundle each month up or down but that £10 includes 3GB data, 500 mins and unlimited texts.
If you can ditch the contract SIM I'd highly recommend the Moto/giffgaff combo.

tribpot Sat 21-Oct-17 18:11:30

I chose the Moto for its good battery life, and upgraded ds to a G4 for Pokemon, otherwise he'd still be happily using it.

I see Argos have a few different Motos for under £100 - list here.

SouthLondonDaddy Sun 22-Oct-17 09:43:15

If instant email is important, bear in mind that the Doze functionality, introduced with Android 6 and made much harsher with Android 7, effectively breaks push email in most cases. Lots of websites talk about "exempting" apps from Doze but the exemption is only partial.

Doze is meant to save battery by disabling network access after a while. Whatsapp messages are still received instantly, emails typically aren't. For some people it still works, for others it doesn't, but AFAIK Google has no official explanation on how to make push email work with Doze.

Sadly this is one of those cases of new software breaking old functionality.

ChippyMinton Sun 22-Oct-17 09:49:56

I came on to say Motorola too. E4 is £130 at John Lewis (DH has one) but they also sell a C for £90.

MorrisZapp Sun 22-Oct-17 09:51:37

I'm on a contract so no idea of price but my phones a Huawei, it's a cheaper rival to the iPhone and outperforms it in some categories.

I love mine.

Flomper Fri 03-Nov-17 00:01:55

oneplus android phones are v good.

TwoBlueFish Fri 03-Nov-17 20:11:05

My husband bought a WileyFox phone recently, he’s really pleased with it and he’s quite picky and geeky.

cdtaylornats Sun 05-Nov-17 22:27:15

www.tesco.com/direct/technology-gaming/sim-free-phones/cat15580012.cat?catId=4294874106¤tPageType=Category&lazyload=true&pageViewType=grid&segmentCount=3&sortBy=3&view=grid&source=others&responseToRender=ALL&offset=0

Alcatel U5 3G Sim Free £69 currently on offer - you get a pay as you go sim free

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now