Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SEO - getting a website to appear in Google searches

(9 Posts)
Justchillaxing Thu 05-Oct-17 18:24:44

setting up a website using wix and despite entering meta tags as described it only appears on google if searching for the actually website name with no spaces. I believe the meta tags are correct.

All the SEO companies I've found charge a lot.

Any advice from anyone who's successfully done this?

I've followed wix's instructions to the T.

Could it be it will just take a while?

Justchillaxing Thu 05-Oct-17 20:01:46

Bump

Paddington68 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:10:00

Google sends the spider at night, it isn't instant.
Getting people to visit your site, from Facebook or twitter will help.

Justchillaxing Thu 05-Oct-17 22:13:49

It's been online for a week.

I've tried that.

Does it rise up the rankings with each visit?

PoppyPopcorn Thu 05-Oct-17 22:16:45

Work your way through the tutorials on the Google Digital Garage - free.

You'll need to get your head around things like Google Analytics, keywords, meta tags, shallow website structure, backlinks. Once you have a basic understanding of all that, apply it to your website. Then update your website with relevant content regularly (blogs are good for this).

Justchillaxing Thu 05-Oct-17 22:49:11

Thanks. That's what I'm trying to do but a lot of it is new to me and I don't understand it.

Is it worth paying for Google ads? It's expensive and I could only do it for a month maybe - not sure that's going to help much?

delilahbucket Thu 05-Oct-17 23:00:09

Don't pay for Google AdWords when you don't know the basics. You will just be throwing money away. You need to take the time to learn and bear in mind it takes a long time to get a new website up and running. If your competitors are huge companies it's going to take you even longer without a marketing team and oodles of cash.
The basics are: update your website regularly and get links back to your website from wherever you can. Don't worry about meta tags, Google doesn't pay much attention to them these days.
You might want to reconsider your website provider as well. Wix isn't well known for being search engine friendly. Most of the cheap ones aren't.

PoppyPopcorn Thu 05-Oct-17 23:02:04

Agree - don't expect instant results. And focus on quality.

Justchillaxing Thu 05-Oct-17 23:18:25

Oh dear. I read good reviews of wix. Can you recommend another provider? If I change can I transfer the website or would I need to start from scratch?

If I don't concentrate on meta tags what do I concentrate on?

Thanks so much, I'm really grateful for the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now