Talk

Advanced search

iPlayer won't work on Fire tv

(8 Posts)
Jux Sat 23-Sep-17 20:46:03

I can't find anything helpfulvia google, or on iPlayer site.

On Amazon Fire tv, I select iPlayer from Apps menu (or from Recent Apps menu). It brings up the initial iPlayer screen for a few seconds, as if it's loading and then just goes back to my Fire tv home Screen with iPlayer selected.

I have tried to clear the cache via Settings/Manage Apps/iPlayer, but nothing happens, and the cache remains at 12.00 whatevers (not much), I have cleared data - not that we had any.

What can I do? (I NEED to see the Masterchef final!!!!)

Jux Wed 04-Oct-17 22:03:55

Bump - it's still not working!

Fixmylife Wed 04-Oct-17 22:06:41

Check if there is an update available for the iPlayer app in AppStore (or whatever it's called on the fire!)

Close the app down completely by viewing the open apps then swiping it away

Switch device off completely and then switch on again

frazzled3ds Wed 04-Oct-17 22:09:36

You can also check in the Fire settings for an update to the software powering the stick/box - it may need an update. Alternatively delete the iplayer app and reinstall it.

Jux Wed 04-Oct-17 23:21:55

Fixmylife, tbh, I have no idea how to do those things, but I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open right now, so I'll investigate in the morning. I don't think I can swipe anything on my tv!

frazzled, I've done uninstalling/reinstalling several times, but when I try to reinstall it just says I already own it and offers to download it from the cloud (which doesn't make it work!).

Jux Thu 05-Oct-17 17:32:29

Well I have been having fun! Nothing works!!!

I found a bit which stimulated a call from Amazon, who have said this is aproblem for many and their tech team are working on it.

Prime Pictures works, as does Prime Videos, haven't checked anything else as it's too boring. The things I use most are iPlayer, 4OD and Netflix, none of which are working, but it's not just me, so hey, we all have to wait until their Tech does magic.

Does anyone know anything about this? I can't find anything in the press or anywhere, saying that the Fire TV Stick could (and has for many apparently) just stop working. I'd have expected headlines!

Fixmylife Thu 05-Oct-17 23:09:31

Ah sorry I read that as being the fire tablet rather than to stick! Sounds like tech team are on it though and likely to be a software problem if other people also having a problem. I know sometimes with our smart TV to get Netflix working we have to switch TV off completely at the wall rather than put it on standby.

Jux Fri 06-Oct-17 14:32:09

There's so many devices around these days, all working in slightly different ways, it must be a nightmare to be in tech - I often feel so sorry for the MN Techs!

Amazon have now suggested a series of steps which I shall try later, and apparently they will call me if that doen't work. I've asked for refund/replacement, which is possibly a tad UR, but the stck's still in warranty.

I am surprised thereis nothing on the internet about mass failings though. I first noticed iPlayer failed about a month ago, but contacted iPlayer about it (no response at all from them, though). How have Amazon kept this under wraps?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: