Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me with 'coding'?

(14 Posts)
llmb Mon 11-Sep-17 14:23:37

I'd like to encourage my sons interest in coding as I would rather he was being creative than spending his time watching other people on you tube. He is 11 but has asd but his iPad is his 'special interest' and really into technology. I, on the other hand, am not very good with technology and no idea where to start. Can anyone kindly explain coding to me and how I can get my son started?

Tia

llmb Mon 11-Sep-17 20:02:13

Bump

cheerylilthing Mon 11-Sep-17 20:16:13

Libraries near us (Leeds) do coding sessions & they're regular groups focused around raspberry pi's - they often include parents so you learn too & feel more confident working together on something at home. They'll be able to recommend the best place for kits/tech too if you want to start little projects.

cheerylilthing Mon 11-Sep-17 20:16:56

*there are

JennyTaylior Mon 11-Sep-17 20:27:46

Not sure if this is suitable for an 11 year old but I use w3schools for bits and bobs.
In the past I've had great results from learning with Lynda.com
I've also heard good things about Udemy - another online course portal.
Alternatively, there's Camp

Good for him! A great skill to encourage.

cdtaylornats Mon 11-Sep-17 21:17:08

itunes.apple.com/gb/app/learn-to-code-with-python/id953972812?mt=8

Learn python - its fairly simple and is a complete language

Alternatively there is scratch
scratch.mit.edu/

Coding is writing instructions for a computer.
An example of python is attached.
The python program is passed to another program called a compiler. The compiler generates binary code that the computer can execute.

llmb Mon 11-Sep-17 21:20:41

Thanks all. So why do you want to tell a computer instructions? I thought it was making computer games!! I need to def read all of this info!

cheerylilthing Tue 12-Sep-17 12:21:03

Coding can create a few things - computer software, games, a website, you just need different types of code. Generally it helps us tell a piece of tech what to do.

Does your DS play Minecraft? If he's more inclined to play games that could be a stepping stone for you into coding as you can create your own worlds & there's various tutorials online that'll be able to help.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Tue 12-Sep-17 12:22:15

My DH recommends Python as a first coding language. He is a software developer.

FlaviaAlbia Tue 12-Sep-17 12:24:02

Have a look at coderdojo.com and see if there's any clubs near you. A few of my colleagues help run them near me and it's a fun introduction to coding.

llmb Tue 12-Sep-17 13:14:33

Yes he's obsessive with mine craft! He creates his own worlds.

Thanks I need to read up on these links!

cdtaylornats Tue 12-Sep-17 13:32:50

Everything a computer does, Mumsnet, Facebook, Window, Google have all been coded.

All of the Google tools are about 1 billion lines of code.

There is a program that accepts the keys you type and turns them into something the computer understands.

Minecraft is written in a language called Java.

sashh Tue 12-Sep-17 13:41:56

Another vote for Python, I would avoid scratch though.

Small basic is also good and has the advantage of a sort of 'predictive text' for the commands.

In minecraft he can create logic gates - this is basically the actual bits in your computer that do the computing.

*Thanks all. So why do you want to tell a computer instructions? I thought it was making computer games!!B

A game is a program, as is almost anything your computer is running (with exception of HTML).

When you move a mouse there is a computer program telling the curser on the screen where to move.

The same with a key board, if you change the word processor language to Russian or Greek pressing the keys on the key board will produce Russian or Greek letters.

RapidStreaming Thu 05-Oct-17 22:48:58

Code.org for several free online courses. Actually great fun too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now