Talk

Advanced search

Editing a word doc on iPad

(11 Posts)
KnackeredOldWoman Thu 25-May-17 12:36:51

Hello I'm hoping someone can help me please. My new employer has emailed me a word document that I need to fill out and then email back. I only have an iPad here at home and I'm totally stumped as to how I can complete it. I haven't got Word, so I dont know where to save it to and then be able to fill it out. Feel like an idiot. Please help!

user1487941567 Thu 25-May-17 12:38:18

If you have a hotmail account, you have word online which is run through outlook. In the top left corner there is a grid, if you click that you can open docs to edit in any Microsoft application.

user1487941567 Thu 25-May-17 12:39:31

Actually, just tried this on my iPhone and doesn't work. You may need a laptop. Sorry

KnackeredOldWoman Thu 25-May-17 12:43:01

Thank u though!

AwfulSomething Thu 25-May-17 12:45:32

My iPad is ancient but I have Word on it, can't remember how much it cost. Also I have used Google Docs on it.

AppalazianWalzing Thu 25-May-17 12:45:55

There's no way to do it on an iPad without a ms word app, which you can buy but it's fairly expensive I think.

You could probably do it with open office, but I'm not sure how. What have you done in the past if you've needed to do job applications, for example? You'll probably have to borrow someone else's laptop, go to a library or wait till you're back in the office.

AppalazianWalzing Thu 25-May-17 12:48:12

Actually, sorry, I might be wrong- you can download a basic MS Word app for iPad for free, I remember DH had to upgrade it to paid one in order to do what he needed so I thought you could only use it to read word docs but he might have been editing docs (i.e. Track changes) rather than simply filling them in and saving. Worth a shot?

RustyBear Thu 25-May-17 12:55:52

I can edit Word documents on my iPad Air with the Word app. I save them in Dropbox, and can email them from there, or directly from the app.

KnackeredOldWoman Thu 25-May-17 13:51:51

RustyBear, would u mind giving me a step by step please? I've got Dropbox and have downloaded a free basic Word App but it's says I can't edit

RustyBear Thu 25-May-17 14:26:23

With the free version, you can create and edit and use basic functions by signing in with an Outlook email.

signup.live.com/signup?cbcxt=mail&wreply=http%3a%2f%2fmail.live.com&id=64855&lic=1&OLrefer=merchsite&uaid=fd2e2bdbe69e453b9ca860ba9a8cd1b8

I had one already for my PC, but they are free to create. I'm not sure if a Hotmail account will work. It's a while since I did it, but I think the sign-in dialogue said 'sign in with Office 365’ and I just tried my outlook email in case it worked, and it did. You don't get all the features though unless you have Office 365.

cdtaylornats Fri 26-May-17 22:02:18

Neither OpenOffice or LibreOffice will run on iOS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now