Talk

Advanced search

Twitter - what am I doing wrong, if anything?!

(15 Posts)
Roussette Tue 18-Apr-17 20:33:52

OK... wise MNers, I need your help!

I've joined Twitter. There's too much going on politically for me to ignore it anymore. I'm pretty savvy but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Or not.

I've researched on here and googled and worked out a bit of Twitter etiquette (I hope)

So my questions are.....

I've made 17 tweets and I'm following 28 (a mixture of news channels, a couple of interesting people, two cocktail bars I like, Mumsnet and some random stuff. . I've had 14 likes on one tweet I posted and 12 on another.

My thing is... no-one is following me. Is this normal? Do I just ignore the fact no one is following me and not worry about it? I'm feeling a bit Norma No-Mates and I'm not sure what more I should be doing!

I've made it easy for anyone to follow me (e.g. no restrictions on that), I just can't work out how to break my duck and get at least ONE person to follow me...

I'm not sure if it's relevant but I dont want to link Twitter to my facebook or email address as I just want to tweet merrily without friends or family knowing, bit like on here...

TIA for any help!

walkingtheplank Tue 18-Apr-17 20:38:00

Follow some people that you actually know as they're sure to follow you.

AnnoyedofTunbridgeWells Tue 18-Apr-17 20:38:26

Well most of my followers are people I am friends with in real life - so I don't know much about getting followers from strangers. Some people automatically follow back if you follow them so hopefully that will work! Or get MNers to follow you?? wink

Roussette Tue 18-Apr-17 20:40:52

Okay.... I might have to link my email then, I just was going to keep it seperate from friends, will have a think about that, thank you!

Waggamamma Tue 18-Apr-17 20:44:59

If you really don't want twitter linked in any way to your 'real life' identity it could be difficult to get followers, not impossible.

If you tag others in your tweets they should retweet, like or follow you.

For example, I am a nobody on twitter but I tweeted something @semifamousblogger and got over 500 retweets and a fair few followers from it. It was months ago and people are still retweeting it!!

So yeh, tweet famous people with some funny stuff 😂

WoodPigeonInFlight Tue 18-Apr-17 20:45:32

Are you "liking" other people's tweets? All sorts of odd people have started following me and I can only think that they have seen that I have liked certain tweets. When I say they are odd, they are not odd, its just not obvious why they would want to follow me.

And yy to many people follow you if you follow them. Also following non-famous people probably more productive for getting into a network than celebs etc.

WoodPigeonInFlight Tue 18-Apr-17 20:48:10

My last point is quite possibly untrue going on the Wagga's post.

70ontheinside Tue 18-Apr-17 20:52:03

Tweeting is like shouting into a black hole. You will only get followers if you make yourself visible, either through # or @, as pp said.

DramaInPyjamas Tue 18-Apr-17 20:55:11

Are you joining in and chatting on other tweets and threads, liking and retweeting? commenting will probably grab the attention of those who share your views and interests.

BeyondUser24601 Tue 18-Apr-17 20:55:24

What are you tweeting about? Search some hashtags of things that you are interested in and follow people from there - a lot of people will follow back and it'll go from there smile

BeezerBubble Tue 18-Apr-17 20:58:46

You have to interact with tweeters, retweet, like, #s etc.. I've got two accounts, one where I've followed others with a similar passion to mine and followed and been followed by hundreds of folk, one just for fun where I follow sports and celeb stuff. Follow hundreds got about 20 followers (including spam bots).

Roussette Tue 18-Apr-17 20:59:37

Yes, I'm liking everything that appeals or I agree with. At the moment, it's cooking stuff, (for instance delicious magazine and it's recipes), political stuff - anything from CNN to BBC and different contributors on that.

I am retweeting, but I'm probably responding more than initiating if that makes sense!

One of my first tweets was liked by 14 people and I thought... oooh this is easy but that was all over in an hour!

Roussette Tue 18-Apr-17 21:01:24

Yes, I've had replies on a couple of my tweets (mostly good, one rude!)

It IS early days, I just wasn't sure about the being followed bit and how it happens!

I'm sounding like a right dummy here grin

Winterc00kie Tue 18-Apr-17 21:02:00

Follow me im on @joasyouknowit it. I'm on 1450 ish followers...and I play mainly hashtag games, I like and retweet and I follow for follow xx

Roussette Tue 18-Apr-17 21:05:31

Thank you Winter!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now