Talk

Advanced search

Kodi on the firestick

(9 Posts)
Elchupacabra Thu 13-Apr-17 13:30:17

Can anyone advise me as to the best way to download Kodi or where I would the best instructions to do so .Please bear in mind that tech gives me the jitters if it becomes too complicated grin

AwfulSomething Thu 13-Apr-17 14:39:52

I'm not sure Mumsnet would be entirely happy with users discussing Kodi even though it can be used for perfectly legal purposes. A google search of Kodi and fire stick brings up plenty of clear instructions. Be careful that you follow the right instructions depending on which firestick (1 or 2) and be aware that the fire stick is not as powerful as the firetv so performance may an issue. Just take your time to read the instructions carefully and you shouldn't have any problems!

AwfulSomething Thu 13-Apr-17 14:44:40

And I would add that if you were, and I am not implying you will be, planning on streaming or downloading copyrighted material be aware that a lot of discussion is going on about ISPs monitoring such behaviour (they are now legally obliged to retain a lot of information) and potentially taking some kind of action. A VPN is highly recommended though this is somewhat troublesome on a firestick. It maybe something you could configure on your router, depending on make. Sorry to bury you with techy talk but it's better to be informed.

Elchupacabra Thu 13-Apr-17 16:32:53

I am totally confounded, I have been reading a little bit about it and I really don't know where I would start. I have heard to much about it that it was something I have been considering for a while. Is it illegal?

Elchupacabra Thu 13-Apr-17 16:33:28

*so much

Dothehokeykokey Thu 13-Apr-17 16:41:55

"have been considering for a while. Is it illegal?"

Kodi in itself is not illegal.

Is it illegal to us it to watch content that you would normally have to pay for via subscription? What do you think..

Elchupacabra Thu 13-Apr-17 18:04:50

So does it stream from the likes of Sky or Netflix?

AwfulSomething Thu 13-Apr-17 18:06:16

Kodi was originally developed as a media server, all totally legal. Additions to it (add ons etc) have been developed that allow streaming of films, tv shows, and live tv (think sky channels) which are copyrighted and this is the illegal part. Well, it's a grey area. The original Kodi dev have tried to distance themselves from this. People selling kodi loaded android boxes have been arrested. Whether kodi users would ever face any legal issues? Who knows...It is so heavily used that too few people really appreciate the situation.

Elchupacabra Thu 13-Apr-17 18:50:34

I have heard people at work talking about it and just assumed that it was legit, I'm not sure I would be too keen tbh at the minute if that's the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now