Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Received an email telling me I've been hacked, what to do?

(15 Posts)
BubblegumFactory Tue 28-Mar-17 21:05:43

So, I've no idea at all whether this is genuine or not, nor how to work out what, if anything has happened, or what to do about it.
Received an email today tell I'm me I've been hacked.
Never heard of the person who sent the email.
'Sounds' foreign.
Usually I ignore and delete
BUT
This email included my full name and full address.
Should I be worried?
Or do my usual ignore and delete?
Anyone with any useful advice, I'd be grateful!

LIZS Tue 28-Mar-17 21:07:45

If you hover over the address it came from does it look valid. What account is supposed to have been hacked?

olderthanyouthink Tue 28-Mar-17 21:10:24

Ooh that's weird that they have that much detail but who could possibly know you've been hacked.

Also hacked in what way? Email account, laptop?

Run anti virus software and see what that comes up with. It's probably just phishing.

olderthanyouthink Tue 28-Mar-17 21:11:33

FYI you can spoof an email address, I could send you and email and make it look like it came from amazon, google, the queen etc

BubblegumFactory Tue 28-Mar-17 21:12:50

Well, seeing as this person emailed me, I presume he/she means my email account?
They had my full name and address.
Thought that bit was weird.
The email address ends .fr
It 'reads' dodgy, they said my details had been emailed to them.

BubblegumFactory Tue 28-Mar-17 21:14:19

I only really use my iPhone or iPad to check my emails.
I always thought apple stuff was quite secure.
But I'm not tech savvy.
It's that they had my full name and address that's freaked me out.

Motionoftheoceon Tue 28-Mar-17 21:17:30

I've had the same email. It's definitely a phishing email. I would ignore, delete and certainly don't open any attachments that come with the email.

Princesspond Tue 28-Mar-17 21:22:41

I received a similar sounding email today, the inclusion of name and address is scary but I just ignored and deleted.

BubblegumFactory Tue 28-Mar-17 21:23:18

A bit worried that someone in the family has already opened the attachement...
We all have the same family email address.
If it was opened on an iPad, can that be a problem?

BubblegumFactory Tue 28-Mar-17 21:24:25

Thanks Motion and Princess, that makes me feel a bit more reassured

PopGoesTheWeeble Tue 28-Mar-17 21:25:33

I am watching with interest as my mum got one of these today which listed her full address and was phrased (badly) to sound like a concerned person who had received the hacked info. Her email wanted her to open an attachment.

I told her to ignore and delete but was a little concerned by the appearance of the full address.

BubblegumFactory Tue 28-Mar-17 21:29:00

Sounds like lots of people getting similar email.
I usually am quite resilient in the face of phishing crap, but this unnerved me today!

Monkeyinshoes Tue 28-Mar-17 21:52:51

It could have your address because a company you use has been hacked and had their database stolen, maybe even some time ago.

I wouldn't worry about opening the attachment on an iPad, they are pretty well protected. Keep an eye out for it doing anything odd but I don't think you'll see any issues.

Whatever you do, don't open it on a Windows PC. There were emails containing addresses and attachments doing the rounds last year. The attachment installed ransomware which locks the PC and demands money to get it unlocked. www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35977227

mtpaektu Wed 29-Mar-17 20:40:38

As monkeyinshoes says, it's probably some website or company that you've given your address to that has been hacked. It is unlikely that your PC has been hacked. There has been a spate of company data being stolen at call centres in India working for UK companies because the workers can sell on the data for considerably more than their wages and easily find new jobs if caught.

The main hacks you need to worry about are they ones where they actually hack your pc and make it unusable, encrypt all your data and demand payment in untraceable bitcoins for unlocking it. In that instance you can try some of the free unlocking software available. If that doesn't work and you don't have a backup then you either have to pay up or lose your data.

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Wed 29-Mar-17 20:48:17

There was a thread about this earlier in Chat - yes, it is a phishing attack. Probably e-mails and addresses harvested from the big Talk Talk hack or similar. Delete and ignore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now