We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

iphone tracking for my 10 year old

(8 Posts)
likewhatevs Fri 24-Mar-17 16:07:21

I'd like to be able to 'track' my 10 year olds whereabouts. Actually I know his whereabouts as he's only currently allowed to go to the park and the shop, but I'd feel happier if I actually 'knew'

He got an iphone for his birthday. I'm an android person. There has never been an apple product in this household before but his auntie offered it to him so we took her up on that offer

I know nothing about this stuff. Nada. I know iphone has a 'find my phone' app - is that what I want to be signing up to? How do you access the data - through a website or something?

It would be extremely helpful if someone could just clue me up on this

thanks in advance.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Fri 24-Mar-17 16:10:00

Find my friends is the app you want, I believe it's available for android and apple.

reallyanotherone Fri 24-Mar-17 16:14:35

Find my iphone is part of the icloud package.

Create yourself, or him, an account, go to settings, log in to icloud. Then you can log in from any source and see where the phone is, erase it, send it a message, make it beep loudly and continuously extremely useful when it's down the back of the sofa, again

There is also find my friends, but both parties have to agree to tracking and it's easily switched off, and no password is necessary. You can't switch off find my iphone unless you have the icloud password.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 24-Mar-17 16:16:44

Tou can switch find my iphone off but as soon as my son does I xall him and tell him to turn it back on ir come home grin

likewhatevs Fri 24-Mar-17 19:15:08

thank you for the help. I shall attempt to sort out the find my iphone. (The icloud - is that just like google drive - so an external storage place accesible via the internet?)

reallyanotherone Fri 24-Mar-17 19:26:14

Icloud is an email adress, so likewhatevs@icloud.com. It's also the username and password for utilities like find my iphone, calenders, notes, and access to pages (apple version of office). Also has 5gb storage you can back your phone up to.

Icloud.com from any browser, or via settings.

TapOut Sat 25-Mar-17 10:22:18

You need to set up restrictions with a passcode that only you know - you then can put whatever restrictions you like on the phone. It's worth getting this done properly so you either need to research it yourself of find soneoe to do it for you.
HERE is the Apple guide for setting up the phone for a child

likewhatevs Mon 27-Mar-17 11:04:13

thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now