Talk

Advanced search

Why does my TV pixalate and occasionally blank out whilst on?

(10 Posts)
mymatemarmite Fri 03-Mar-17 20:43:07

My TV is about 2 years old and for the last couple of months has started to pixalate (sp) or more annoyingly blanks out for about 3/4 seconds. I do have an outside aerial, Amazon Prime, no Sky. We watch most TV from the freeview on the actual TV. (when I switch channels over a long the bottom shows the strength of signal which is showing 79% Does anyone know how I can improve the strength?

Surely out can't be on its way out already??!!

mymatemarmite Fri 03-Mar-17 21:41:46

Bump

OddShoe Fri 03-Mar-17 21:44:21

I have no idea but our does it too. Without fail it will pixelate and lose sound for a few seconds about 5 minutes after its turned on. It's always done it and is pretty old now, it's never got any worse.

mymatemarmite Fri 03-Mar-17 22:02:01

Mine does it all the time, there is no set pattern.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Fri 03-Mar-17 22:06:02

All the tvs in my house do it from time to time, sometimes they are unwatchable, it seems to depend on the weather.

mymatemarmite Fri 03-Mar-17 22:36:03

Its so annoying, it happens all the time - I have just timed in - in 30 minutes it's happened 8 times! So frustrating. Don't want to go and buy a new TV if its going to happen with the new one too.

ArchNotImpudent Fri 03-Mar-17 22:46:59

Have you tried a signal booster? You can pick them up very cheaply in Argos/Currys/Amazon and similar. It worked for me when I moved house to an area where the signal wasn't as strong. If it doesn't work, at least you've only spent £20 or so rather than wasted the cost of a newTV.

cdtaylornats Sun 05-Mar-17 22:05:31

Pixelation usually happens with a lot of rain. The rain can either be at your end or the uploading end but its the sort of bouncing of the pavements rain.

mymatemarmite Mon 06-Mar-17 23:18:42

Definitely not happening due to rain!

Think I will look into getting a signal booster.

Thanks

LightastheBreeze Tue 07-Mar-17 04:47:09

Much more likely to be the aerial than the TV, it happens to us in our caravan and quite often the signal strength is quite high, this is in all weathers and if we are plugged into a site TV socket or using our own.

Do you live near wind turbines or big warehouses or at the bottom of a hill, all these things can affect it, definitely try a booster first, if that doesn't work look on the internet at Freeview signal problems as it will most likely be your surroundings or the aerial not quite right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now